Advice on hanging kitchen wall units on a dot and dab wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Need a little advice on hanging kitchen wall units and an extractor hood on a dot and dab wall.

Just had my wall re-done in my kitchen however the builder has used dot and dab plasterboard against the wall (which I'm assuming is Thermalite or concrete block)

Problem I've got now is I don't know what fixings to use to secure my kitchen wall units and extractor cooker hood (which is about 30-40 kg)

I've been into B&Q and Screwfix but cannot see any fittings that would do the job.

One tradesman in Screwfix told me to use normal plugs and before I put the screw in on the fixing wall unit plates to put some no nails in the void around the hole to stop the bracket from sinking in the plasterboard.

Another said to use Drywall Pro fixings which I've found online, these look like they are upto the job but I would like a little more advice as I'm worried they'll all come crashing down the in the middle of the night if I don't fix them right.

Also what if I drill into a blob of adhesive, would this affect the mounting?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
You need to know the wall make up, thermalite if soft and does not hold expanding plugs [they crush the soft material] or glue [very loose powdery material] , for that you need something like this http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-sup...asplugs-scp-120-thermal-block-fixings-10.html
or Fischer make a similar type.
Need to be buried into wall, cavity can be bridged with an off cut of copper or polypipe though you should not be tightening the fixing hard enough to crush down the plasterboard.
If you have harder blockwork then you can use standard plugs.

As above will work but you might like to think about the following:

see - cjard's post in the thread "fitting heavy shelf to plasterboard wall, tue feb 17 2015.

There are other mushroom expansion fixings available that dont need a special tool. If you go for this option then use four fixings min. in each cabinet.

As above will work but you might like to think about the following:

see - cjard's post in the thread "fitting heavy shelf to plasterboard wall, tue feb 17 2015.

There are other mushroom expansion fixings available that dont need a special tool. If you go for this option then use four fixings min. in each cabinet.
It's a dot and dab wall little or no space for expanding fixings.?

Sponsored Links
I'm wrong. What i suggested wont work. Thanks for correcting me. I non-thinkingly assumed a stud wall.

Always used standard rawl plugs, just hammer them through the plasterboard into the block.

Never had a problem.

I have a similar problem. In my case the space between the plasterboard sheets and the wall behind is quite large - about 30-40mm. For the base units I'm actually going to remove the plasterboard and attach the units directly to the wall - I need those few cm to get it all to fit in, and the mess will be masked by the worktop (which will also run down the side of the base units at the end). For the wall units I had planned to cut out a strip of plasterboard and attach a batten to the wall - it would be about the same depth as the void between the plasterboard and the wall so would sit flush(ish) with the plasterboard wall. I then planned to fix the wall units to the batten.

Is this a crap idea, or could it work OK?

It will work though base units are fine screwed together and then to plasterboard as there is very little to move them.

look at cabinet hanging rail. It comes in 2 or 3 metre lengths, and is a steel form that screws to the wall wherever convenient (it has a hole every inch) and the adjustable cabinet hangers hook onto it and can be adjusted up/down in/out. Once you have the rail in place you just lift your cabs up, and can move them along if you wish. They will all be in line and it doesn't matter if there is a pebble or pipe in one place, because the screw can go in the next convenient place.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-fittings/cabinet-hanging-wall-rails/9788

http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-fittings/cabinet-hangers/9784

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...ngs/564/blum_wall_cabinet_mounting_set/752722

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back