Advice on how to go about a project on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had big ideas to transform my garden last year but like with other things in my house I was totally unrealistic with the time factor. I am quickly learning my lesson!

I am now at the point where I want the garden to just look tidy juggling with the shortest time and budget.

I would like to extend the existing patio out towards where the neighbour's extension is but not sure if it's false economy or worth it as opposed to starting over again. I would hope to find some slabs that look the same although that might not be possible.

The other task involved is to rip up the existing so called lawn and put new turf down as I really think it's buggered.

The problem is I have so much going on that I don't have time to do it myself (especially as I would be learning as I go) yet I'm not made of money where the price is no object.

I know a question like this has been asked so many times but it is important to get a good idea of what I can expect. Therefore, can anyone give me a rough idea of how much I can expect to pay someone in this field a day? I can find out how much the materials will cost myself. I don't really know how to go about getting a person or company to do a job like this on a budget so any advice on this would be much appreciated. I live in the Hornchurch, Essex area.

Is it acceptable to buy the stuff yourself, get someone round to give a quote and check if anything else needs to be purchased?
Do you think using MyBuilder.com is a good website to find someone to do it on a budget?

Obviously when it comes to installing something like a boiler then there is little room to compromise since safety is involved but for this type of work I feel that if I could get someone who's not a large company with big overheads but more of an enthusiast then the budget would be acceptable. I know everyone would ideally like everything done as cheap as possible but I can either do it on a budget or not at all unfortunately.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Buying the stuff yourself and cherry picking any profit out of the job will leave you to choose between the duffers and new start up idiots as anyone with any kind of experience will be very busy and booked up for months at this time of year and not interested in a profitless job.

Whilst everyone has a budget to work to its amazing how many people de-value landscaping professionals because 'its just gardening' but then expect a professional high quality result.

Many aspects of Landscaping are very simple and many people could and do, do it themselves but very few would acheieve the same quality and speed of a professional which is what you are paying for.

You can certainly negociate a reduced price in winter with most people but no chance at this time of year. It may be worth leaving the job until later in the year when you may have more chance finding someone less busy

My builder etc are avoided by experienced professionals as most people using them are just chasing rock bottom price but it may be a good place to find more keen pricing. Local gumtree etc may work too.

Whilst no-one wants to pay inflated large company prices i doubt you'll find too many of those in this sector.

P.s 'Enthusiasts' have mortgages and hungry children too...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back