Stone garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a stone and mortar garden wall (not a retaining wall) that has partially collapsed. It is approx 1.8m high in places and there is a length about 3.5m that needs rebuilding and repair. It has only collapsed on one side (double thickness stone). I have been struggling to find tradespeople to quote, and the 2 quotes I have received (c£4.5k) I do not have the budget for (I do not know if that is the going rate). I think it is beyond my capabilities to DIY, certainly safely. Any ideas what else I could do to repair the boundary on a smaller budget? I don't think fencing would be an option. Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
The going rate is the price in the quotes you have received as those quotes represent costs from traders willing to do the job. Alternatives would be blockwork or brick if a fence won't cut it. All you can do is try to get more quotes.

If you don't fancy doing the stone repair yourself, is there sufficient wall left to fix shuttering and infill with concrete. It'll look pants, and you'll have to do it in careful stages so as not to overload the remaining wall, and shuttering. The shuttering will need some substantial bracing from the ground along its length, and you'll need to be sure the remaining leaf is in good enough repair to hold the wet concrete.
If the concrete bursts the remaining leaf or the shuttering you'll be in a worse state than before.

Alternatively, place some timber lathes along the gap as a guide and repair the fallen stone and mortar. Are you sure it's cement mortar?
There isn't "a right way" to build a stone wall, it's all about individuality.
Of course there are guideline to follow, plenty available on youtube.
Mixers are available to hire, and for a learner one mixer load a day is enough to get started. Tip the mortar into a barrow and work it straight out of the barrow as you go.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't help the op, but just a funny little story:

A local "big house" was wanting a dry stone wall built, they bought in a lorry load of stone from the quarry, I helped shift it with a track barrow (paid of course).
They ran a course over a couple of weekends "learn how to drystone wall", people paid good money to take part, and they hired in an expert to run it.

In the end they must've broke even, if not made profit, and got their wall built!!

Pat ex - I had thought about infilling with concrete but I'm not convinced it is the way to go as it is likely to cause more problems.
scbk - Perhaps I should invite people to learn how to build a wall! Doesn't sound like a bad idea!

Here are some photos...
wall1.jpg
wall2.jpg

if 4.5k restores this wall to its former glory. then its excellent valuel. It wouldnt suprise me if doing it in horrible looking concrete blocks could be 4.5. And how good is the rest of the wall, probably needs pointed up.

If you don't have deep pockets that wall is a problem. Even in filling with a fence (I know you don't want that) will not be cheap, there is a lot of material to get off site, then stabilise the open two ends, then do the fencing!

good luck

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back