Advice on how to install floating Shelf for bathroom basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I happened to come across this forum and it seems very nice, so I decided to give it a try.
Im trying to decorating my bathrooms in a new home Im going to move in (it'll take a few months till its ready)
Once I'll move in, I want to make something minimal in design, I though of something and did a model in google sketchup:

I thought of using some good wood material and hang it on the wall.
the sink is 40x40x13.5 cm and the wall is already covered with ceramics.
The shelf for the basin should be 50cm x 60 cm which leaves enough space for the faucet and a small frame.
the lower shelf would be 80cm x 40cm

How should I install the shelves that would be able to carry the weight of the shelf and basin on top of it?

Sponsored Links
the plumbing goes to under the top shelf, to the wall (drain, hot/cold water)

You need to get a couple of heavy steel "L" brackets made up, these will have long legs fixed down the wall, to take the load. Either you'll have to build the shelves to allow secret fixing (pushing onto the protruding bracket arms) after the brackets are aligned and fixed to the wall, or accept you will be able to see them under the shelves. However as the pipe work is also going to be visible, that might not be a problem? I would at this point say the brackets will have to be S/S or galvanised at least, as they will rust badly and quickly in a wet room as bathrooms/toilet and classed, or painted frequently...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
You could put an aluminium angle on the wall and slot the two side of the timber shelf and mount to the angle the slots being 20mm short of any edges so as not to show. But if you intend to hide the pipe work then the timber used could also support the shelf.

I dont intend to hide the pipework. i'll use a nice aluminium finish and it'll look just fine :)
the bottom shelf would be just for some towels, nothing more.
So some 'L' shaped brackets are my only choice?
If I manage to find something with nice finish I dont mind it to be visible, and the part where the shelf will be, I'll just fix it a bit inside from each corner (as foxhole suggested) so It'll be only visible on the wall.

What diameter of screws should I apply? 6mm ? 10mm?
How can I calculate which will be enough for me? Im mostly afraid to cause any damage to the ceramics with too much pressure on it.

You also need to determine the construction of the wall that the basin is to be fixed to - with masonry you have some sort of chance, but if its dry wall then the studs within will have to be located.
Typically secret shelves have a metal wall plate with extended steel dowels fixed horizontally to it......fair enough for light stuff but in no way suitable for the weight and force of the cantilever you propose.
Hence, its heavy duty 'L' brackets or some sort of vertical support for safety.
At least the basin is to be corner fixed, so thats not too bad!
John :)

it is masonry, so I have a good chance, dont i ? :D
I dont mind if its really hidden or not, It seems hard to find a nice beautiful chrome plate brackets.
of course thats the ideal:
2013-3-19--10-36-56-17.jpg

But I do need some support in the vertical plain, similar to what's done here:
mU6-j-HV7-vuz1UNl_U4BzQ.jpg

Where can I find some variety of these, so I can choose something I like?

And the biggest question of it all, what type of screws material and diameter should I use for the task?

Just Googled basin brackets and there's a few on Ebay UK which may fit the bill.....
Screw wise, well the brackets will be in shear when fixed to the wall so say 5x50 would be fine if you get a good masonry fixing with 8mm diameter plugs.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back