Fixings for cavity wall for floating shelf to hold basin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest a product to help me with my situation please.

I would like 2 floating shelves installed in my bathroom.

They would be approx 55cm wide and 40cm deep.

I would like a counter top basin on one of them and the other floating shelf below would just be for towels etc.

The outer of the shelves would be oak and a different type of wood inside to be lighter/less expensive.

Now, I believe the wall where the floating shelves would be placed is a cavity wall (1930s mid terrace).

Can anyone suggest a fixing for this type of wall, bearing in mind the type of wall and that it will have to support a shelf, plus a 10kg basin plus water in addition to this.

Sponsored Links
Mounting the shelves is fairly easy compared with constructing them, are you having shelves made to order?

yes made to order as a favour, but the person making them isnt 100% what to use fixing wise with regard to the combination of the wall type and the weight it will have to hold. thanks

Sponsored Links
If its a brick cavity wall then ideally have metalwork to hold shelves made as one and run to floor , cut back plaster and bury steel frame , fill and tile?
Most wall hung toilets use a metal frame mouted off the floor for high strength.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back