Advice on how to make a tiles removable panel over a cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of just starting to tile my bathroom with Travertine on the floor and some of the walls.

I'm fitting a concealed cistern, so will be mounting the cistern on the wall, boxing it in and then i want to tile over the box so that it blends in.

Obviously i need to leave an access point to the cistern for maintenance, but i'm struggling with how best to do that.

I want to tile the sides and the top of the box, and don't want any visible fixings holding on a removable panel.

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions or advice on how i could do it.

I have thought about making a drop in tile panel for top access where i bond the tiles onto a smaller piece of wood that then locates in a recess in the top of the box, making the panel the full size of the top of the box (which will only be about 200mm deep). But that would mean i couldn't grout the join along where the vertical tiles meet the top panel.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

Hidden fixings i can find. I'm interested in suggestions on how best to disguise the joins and where best to put the joins.

Sponsored Links
You could ask yourself how many times you are going to actually need to access the cistern. Just check that everything is workin fine before gouting. Removing a couple of grout lines is not too difficult or time consuming aslong asyou take care as not to damage tiles. Just a thought!

Good point.

i could make a removable panel with suitable fixings and then just grout up the joins on the basis its not going to come off very often.

Thanks for the idea.

can you get ivory coloured silicon?

Silcone is an adhesive, grout is a filler.
I would use grout, as said how many times will it need to come off & it will look a lot better than silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back