Advice on how to paint Timber Gates...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 7ft Timber gates and I'm going to stain them with a solvent based wood stain. Ideally I wanted them spray painted but now I can't get anyone to spray paint them so its either a paint brush or roller but would a foam roller be more suitable and give a nicer finish?

Sponsored Links
soodi.

Why would you wish to apply a solvent borne application, Firstly I am of the opinion that you seek a translucent system as opposed to opaque.

One of the finest protective coatings for for exterior unpainted wood is Sikkens, and is Acrylic/waterbased. This system comprises of a three coat app, I am assuming here that your gates are void and and free from any coating.

Sikkens Cetol bl21 is a base stain which will require just one coat followed by two coats of Sikkens Cetol Bl31.

These products in my opinion give the best all round protection.

Dec.

Going now to the method of application, simply brush a roller will only tend to flirt over the substrate where as a brush will give both penetration and extreme holding capacity.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back