1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

ADVICE ON HOW TO PREP A KITCHEN WALL

Discussion in 'Decorating and Painting' started by OXHEAD, 4 Jul 2009.

1. OXHEAD

OXHEAD

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I am in the process of having a new kitchen fitted,but before the fitter starts in 3 weeks time, I have found the existing paintwork on the walls to have a crazed look.(my wife says I have as well!!)

I have removed the 2 different coats of matt emusion down to the original magnolia which was used when the house was built in the early 80's.

There is no crazing in the magnolia.

The question I have is how to prep the original paint for a new coat of emulsion without it becoming crazed again.

I have read various options and I am tempted by the oil based undercoat route, as one of them.......is this wise? or can someone advise me on a better alternative. :?:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. leewill

leewill

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    a lot of the time crazing in paint is due to a reaction with a dirty surface, i would just lightly rub it down if your down to your original coat consider this done, and make sure the walls are free of dust dirt and grease, lightly clean with warm soapy water a few times drying after then clean with a small amount of thinners, sounds like whoever painted it before you didn`t clean it properly and the grease and so on caused by cooking was still on the walls causing a reaction with the paint, personally i don`t like oil based paints, just paint it with a quality kitchen/bathroom paint, hope this helps......

4. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I`ve had good results with Zinsser Bulls eye 1-2-3 Cost me £40 for a strange size of 3.75 litres. Maybe the pro`s will have another idea too. P.S. I got 5 l of smooth masonry for £1.00 @ boot sale this morning .. :LOL: PPS the zin is water based... but smells for a while as it dries.

5. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links