Advice on insulated plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all I'm new to this forum so please bare with me! So myself and my partner have just bought a 1927 semi in need of full refurbishment. We are in the process of stripping the property back to brick. As the property is of a solid construction 200mm I was thinking of using dot and dabbed insulated plasterboard on all external walls 37.5mm thick. What do I need to do to prep and is dot and dab the right idea?

Thanks
Salv

Sponsored Links
if you can. go for slightly thicker insulation as it will make the job more worth the effort from as insulation perspective.

Also you can use frame fixers instead of dot n dab if you prefer. Basically you take it back to brick put your plaster board up, check it level and then tape n skim the joints. Also you can do any electrical chasing at the same time.

Only dot'n'dab if the walls are not flat enough to mechanically fix alone, as it makes the room a bit smaller and is a load more work.

I think 60mm of insulation + plasterboard (72.5mm) is the best, and meets new home standards. Don't forget to deal with the window reveals. We hired a large disc cutter and cut back the blockwork as far as the window so we could get 40mm thickness of insulation + plasterboard in there.

I used 50mm on top of 25mm roofing battens, on solid brick house.

I don't really like dot & dab, and screwing shelves etc I can see being an issue, however it's a slow process with battens! as you have to pack to get level.
I used concrete screws to attach the battens to wall, it's rock solid, so hanging anything off it shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, I've lost around 85mm off the rooms... but I live in an old house, and know how cold they can get.

I don't think insulated plasterboard has a built-in vapour barrier either (please check)...foil backed insulation boards do.

Sponsored Links
Th insulation needs to be packed tightly against the cold wall. Battens should be avoided if possible, though i made that mistake myself also.

Th insulation needs to be packed tightly against the cold wall. Battens should be avoided if possible, though i made that mistake myself also.

From what I had read, this is if you are using external insulation...

Have you had problems with doing the batten method? if so, what?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back