Dryline with plasterboard laminate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question to break down confusion.

I'm thinking of insulating/plastering an old 1906 solid brick external wall in an end terraced using plasterboard laminate...a plasterboard with a solid bit of insulation stuck underneath. The wall is a solid bare brick. I will stick this plasterboard on the inside.

Now, they say you can dot n dab directly onto brick this type of plasterboard with a bit of mechanical help( a few screws/nails here and there ).

However, there are posts that say if you have a solid wall you need to provide a means of a gap to the wall so that it can breath and to avoid condensation building up on the back of the plasterboard.

How can then these manufacturers sell this type of product that can be adhered to the wall directly without a gap ?

I'm confused, help please ![/u]

Sponsored Links
Looked into this before doing two rooms in my house. The Gyproc website gives pdf downloads (white book) for installing Gyproc Thermaline insulation/plasterboard laminate. Other manufacturers will have similar.

Using the dot and dab technique the splodges of drywall adhesive hold the insulation backed plasterboard off the wall, achieving a gap of say 10mm (can't remember, it is specced in the Gyproc details) where there isn't adhesive (which is most of the board surface area). Many of the boards are have one or more vapour control layers to stop condensation or damp getting through to the insulation or through into the plasterboard. The spec for some systems is just 2 screws per board, they are there for fire regs, if heat means the adhesive fails the mechanical fix stops the things falling down. The adhesive is pretty strong when applied in sufficient surface area.

Alternative systems use wooden battens or metal framework systems. Usually a bigger gap and different thermal properties. So if you want to retain as much space as poss dot and dab may be best.

You have to put the adhesive in a solid ribbon around the board perimeter to stop drafts coming round the board (and I think for fire regs too). Also any penetrations for services need to be similarly isolated and sealed.

Hope that helps.[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back