Advice on joining cable again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys wonder if anyone can help.
Ive replaced my electric shower with a thermostatic one. This has left a live feed to the bathroom from a stand alone fuse panel fitted with a 40 A fuse.
What Iwould like to do ( if possible!) is remove the pull switch and join the cable to 2.5 twin and earth then attatch a shaver shocket to the other end?
The cable join would be pushed into the loft space.
I picked up a circular conecting box but having done a search on this forum see that as it only a 20 A it is maybe not upto the job as others recomended a 60A anyway the old cable will not fit in the terminals.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers Andy

PS I moved the bath so Im not having the socket above the bath!!

Sponsored Links
I would install a fused connection unit outside the bathroom area with the wiring from your existing shower (presuming 6.0mm twin & earth cable) and then wire your shaverpoint from that in your 2.5mm T&E

Pretty sure someone will explain the part p requirements with works being carried out within a bathroom.

A shaver point is very low current (40VA) so will not need 2.5mm² cable.
Use an FCU with a 3amp fuse and use 1mm².
Most shaver points run from the lighting circuit.

But your real problem is:
1. The circuit will need to be protected by an RCD (maybe the shower circuit is already?)
2. You will need to notify your local authority and pay their fee to inspect the work or you will need to get a registered spark to do this work. A bathroom is a notifiable location. getaspark at www.competentperson.co.uk

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for the info, I had forgot about needing an inspection. When I was checking out what size fuse was in the box it does have an RCD. I think the job was done correctly the first time
Again thank you very much for theinfo, I should be able to crack that tomorrow!
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back