Advice on laying oak boards with long exposed edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am just starting to lay out the wooden battens (3" x 2") over existing concrete floor to lay some T&G oak boards (20mm thick).

I am laying the boards to raise part of the lounge floor to meet the rear hallway which has limestone slabs.

Because of this I will have a very wide step on one side of the floor where it steps down to the lounge carpet.

As each end of the step meets a wall right angle I cannot have an overhang and will use an additional board as the facing edge of the step.

I also cannot have any edge covering as I don't want a lip on the step.

I have drawn this out in the attached image and my question is in which direction should I lay the boards to create the neatest step edge.

All advice greatfully received. View media item 243

Sponsored Links
When ever I lay a floor I tend to go with the light eg the light comes from window, french doors so i would go from a to b on your diagram also if it is to high when you get to the tiles just plane the wood done as a ramp to the tiles and use a coloured sealant to file between the tiles and wood

i agree,nothing worse then seeing a floor installed the wrong way so the light catches on the edges of boards.

Thanks for confirming A to B for direction.

Do I need to install a threshold T beteween the new boards and the slabs to allow for expansion?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back