Advice on loft beam!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I work in my loft and over a year ago had some flooring put in, some beams removed, window put in etc, all is fine.

There was one beam I never removed, a vertical one, that’s only nailed in by 2 small nails. It’s quite annoying as my desk is near it and wondered if I could remove the loose beam?

I’ve attached photos to explain what I mean. If it can’t be removed, any advice on what could be done to replace it elsewhere to provide same support structure (not convinced it’s supporting beam). Last year a vertical beam opposite it got removed (in the last picture where the spare door is currently near).

Any advice much appreciated!

JB

Attachments

• 2410C374-9FAA-4029-89DB-253000E35804.jpeg
    2410C374-9FAA-4029-89DB-253000E35804.jpeg
    319.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 2E59B354-C1A3-4822-846D-1BB91DEFE8F6.jpeg
    2E59B354-C1A3-4822-846D-1BB91DEFE8F6.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 199
  • 5DB878F7-0F5B-46C1-959C-8141ED35718D.jpeg
    5DB878F7-0F5B-46C1-959C-8141ED35718D.jpeg
    323.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 1D17B31A-7B62-46E2-8A6D-82659EFC1B6F.jpeg
    1D17B31A-7B62-46E2-8A6D-82659EFC1B6F.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DAF82A08-3888-4E8B-9B65-05B72B2E8771.jpeg
    DAF82A08-3888-4E8B-9B65-05B72B2E8771.jpeg
    404.4 KB · Views: 181
Sponsored Links
Bit of an obstacle course that one, how many times you spilt your tea on way to desk?

I'd say possibly but need an se to confirm it tbh

Isn't that a strut or prop? I think they're used to transfer some of the load from the roof to the supporting walls below. I'm only a DIY'er though and only know bits having watched asked questions about roof structures when we were having our ridge tiles replaced.

Last edited:
My guess (if there's no supporting wall below) is that it's a king post, effectively a hanger holding up the two horizontal struts and should not be removed, and neither should the other one have been.

Sponsored Links
My guess (if there's no supporting wall below) is that it's a king post, effectively a hanger holding up the two horizontal struts and should not be removed, and neither should the other one have been.
I don't think it's substantial enough to be a king post. They are usually larger and incorporated into a much larger truss, whereas this just sits somewhere near (but not quite in line with) the purlin props.
It could just be a temporary prop for the ridge board that was never removed after the roof was constructed.

I don't think it's doing anything but needs a review of the structure by an engineer to be sure.

It's to pick up ceiling binder don't just remove as you're probably over loaded up there as it is

Thanks for all your replies guys, very much appreciated on your thoughts.

Your quote right I have spilt a few rounds of tea up there haha.

thought you might say SE, fair comment, guess I was being cheeky seeing if anyone on here was a SE, or had the knowledge to know without me paying someone to come out. I know it’s cheeky, just thought worth an ask!

I’m guessing the other one was removed at some point in previous occupancy maybe because the chimney is extremely close to the location where it would have been? Would that make sense?

I’d be happy to pay someone to put replacement support instead of it, perhaps somewhere else that would do the same job?, just a right obstacle that’s all!

ta

JB

Haha sorry Ronny, didn’t realise you were SE. So advice is to get a SE round, I’m Notts region, does anybody know what approx average cost to get an SE opinion pop over and take a look?

ta

JB

In in newark and use a structural engineer called Nigel Jones, he did the calcs for the rsj in my extension in August and I'll be using him for another steel calcs in the new year.

Chris

I have questionable ethics so feel able to comment.
It's hard to say, but if you consider some principles, it will help in the decision process. That appears to be a normal cut rafter roof, not one of any king/queen post/truss design - so those angled timbers are just raking struts for the purlins, not part of any truss.

In this case there would normally be a wall below those struts and the vertical timber, and as such that timber is not part of support for the ridge.
The closeness to the struts, and offset from any wall would mean that its not a hanger.

However it does appear to be connected to a binder, so could be a hanger holding that up.

So if there is a wall there, you could potentially remove the timber and fit a normal steel joist hanger in its place to support the binder.
If there is no wall there, the timber is a hanger and should only be removed if loads are assessed by a suitable person.

In in newark and use a structural engineer called Nigel Jones, he did the calcs for the rsj in my extension in August and I'll be using him for another steel calcs in the new year.

Chris

Have you got his number please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back