Advice on meter tails?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

hopeing for some advice please, I'm going to be having my electrics completely re-wired, I have read a few bits on the net and it looks like the meter tails (I think they are called this) that lead to the meter will need to be upgraded as they are not blue and brown.

Will be electrician be able to change these or should he? From what I have read they should not be touched as you have to break seals in the meter to change them for which you can get in trouble :eek: , does this mean I have to call my electric company just to change these 2 wires?

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
For the best answer, ask your electrician.

Your electrician will be the one that may say it's no problem and he will do it, or that you need to contact the supplier.

they don't need changing just because they are the old colours, as long as they are a big enough cross section and double insulated, your sparky should be able to tell you all you need to know

Thanks guys, I only ask because I read that some electrcians change them when they aren't supposed and I was just thinking if my one changes them and the electric board come and check the meter will they think I have tried to get free electric!

I think I have read to much as usual and am worrying for no reason (as usual!) :rolleyes:

Cheers
John

Sponsored Links
I would think if the DNO saw the meter seal missing and shiny new tails in place they would not be overly concerned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back