Advice on moving b/room radiator onto main circuit please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a largish open (as in it has a header tank in the loft ie is not a closed system) central heating system, I am guessing about 30 years old. The boiler is newer, a gas fired condensing boiler about 8 years old. The new boiler was fitted with a bypass, which the original system did not have. There are 2 "circuits", heating and hot water.

The boiler has 2 thermostat controls, one for heating, one for water. It has one hot outlet. This routes to a valve, electricly connected to a dual (ie water and heating) timer. From the valve run the separate heating and water "circuits". I believe this is all pretty conventional.

The bathroom radiator is on the hot water circuit. This means the bathroom is only heated whilst hot water is being heated. So the bathroom often gets cold 'cos after the water tank has heated up, that circuit turns off.

This radiator is connected across the flow and return pipes at a position right next to the flow and return pipes for the heating circuit. I would like to move it on to the heating circuit - not that difficult a copper pipework job.

But I'm wondering why it was connected up this way in the first place and whether there would be any problems caused by removing the one radiator on this circuit and leaving the water tank there on its own.

Sponsored Links
Because with a gravity hot water it would have been on most of the time.

Its best to connect it to the circuit after the pump but BEFORE any motor valves.

Then it will be on when heating water or heating which is far better!

Tony

If I understand you right, that means creating a third circuit which is "bathroom radiator only" and is on whenever the boiler is pumping hot water.

Running new pipework from the boiler would be a major job - going behind walls, tiles and stuff. The change I am asking about involves only lifting a carpet and 2 floorboards.

Having the radiator on only when heating is on would be fine.

As far as I can tell, it has always been plumbed in as part of the water heating circuit, after the pump and after the valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back