How should a towel radiator be plumbed in

Haha that's a biggie! You have a TRV on yours too, mine just has straight chrome tails
Before I fitted that one, we had a three rung half-height towel warmer plus a 600x600 double on the wall under that window.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Whatever the quoted output it will be a lot less when you have numerous towels and garments hung on it.

That’s why when my daughter said she wanted one I left the existing radiator (with TRV) fitted connected to the heating circuit and plumbed her new towel warmer into the Hot Water Primary F & R circuit.

It’s on a “Y” plan so towel warmer works all year round when there is a HW demand.

OK, I'm starting to think that perhaps with the output this heater has its not going to be much use as a heater so I think I will connect up to the hot water circuit (coil). Then I will fit a radiator on the landing and run that off the central heating.

To fit the towel radiator off the hot water circuit. Is it a simple case of teeing off the flow to the cylinder coil and what I assume is the return as it comes out the cylinder or would that cause me issues with heating water in the cylinder?

Where is the 3-port valve on your system?

Where is the 3-port valve on your system?

It's right next to the boiler which is in the garage. The bathroom is upstairs and on the other side of the house, other wise I would have piped it up prior to the diverter.

It's right next to the boiler which is in the garage. The bathroom is upstairs and on the other side of the house, other wise I would have piped it up prior to the diverter.

Quite right.

If you connect it to the HW it will only heat up while the water is heating, so once the cylinder is up to temperature the cylinder thermostat will turn it off and your towel radiator will stop heating up to.

Well after all that the Mrs has decided she wants to keep the electric towel heater we already had. Kind of makes sense really as unless you can tee off before the diverters, electric seems the best option. Thanks for all the assistance people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back