Advice on my heating system please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I need suggestions on the way forward with our central heating system.

We live in a 2-bed 1st floor maisonette. So there are 5 rads and a bathroom with power shower. We currently have a Potterton Suprima 60 which is I believe about 8 yrs old. In the past I have had a few problems - the pump, ECB and valve have been replaced. Now we have a leaking heat exchanger.

The cost of replacing the heat exchange isn't small, around 300 for the part plus labour, could be anything from 400-600 who knows. One chap came round, looked at it, and said it would be better in the long run to renew the boiler. I must say I'm kind of with him on this, I've had enough of calling out the plumber every winter.

So I'm looking for advice on the best solution for the way forward. One chap suggested something like a Potterton Profile as a replacement. The next person suggested a combi boiler, which would mean I could scrap the cylinder (which takes up too much space) and the filthy feed tanks in the loft. I was concerned that a combi boiler would not be compatible with the power shower...

I'd really appreciate some suggestions from you guys.

Sponsored Links
Just two of us.

I'm not keen on overspending, as we are hoping to move on within a year or two, meaning that we wouldn't really get our money back.

NBee said:
I was concerned that a combi boiler would not be compatible with the power shower...

It won't be, if you just want to swap the boiler over you will be looking at something like a promax, Ideal isar or a baxi he.

Sponsored Links
i'd guess a straight boiler swap would be cheapest......u wont be paying anyone to rip out the old system...just to put a combi in.
or even cheaper..if u are moving...have the rapair done and take ur chances...
thats what i would do if i was moving within a year or two.

I'd get it fixed too. The H/e (238240) isn't quite 300, I should think you'd get it swapped for the lower end of your estimates.
Anyone putting a new boiler in should flush the system which makes it more expensive.
There's always the chance with a SUprima that you'd need ANOTHER circuit board, but you'd have to be unlucky.
The Pump and Valve you've needed aren't the boiler's fault!

The problem with getting it fixed is finding someone to do the job - no one seems very keen to do it.

However they seem keen enough to advise me to get a new boiler :confused:

a direct swap for the boiler would be the new suprima HE which doesnt have the same pcb either you will be glad to hear :LOL:

gazthepottertonengineer said:
a direct swap for the boiler would be the new suprima HE which doesnt have the same pcb either you will be glad to hear :LOL:

This is good news provided it don't take 10 years to get right like the earlier models :LOL: :LOL:

gazthepottertonengineer said:

Are you able to give any very rough quotes for the two options?

Have you got trv's on at least your bedroom rads?
Have you got a programmer, and room and cylinder thermostats?
Does your HW cylinder comply with current Building Regs?
Where would the condensate pipe go?
Is the flue position OK for a steamer?
Do the electrics comply with current standards and BR?
Got any rad valves which will need replacing when the flush is done??
Is the boiler in a tight space - more relevant for changing the h/e than replacing the boiler.

Any problems with the above add to the cost of the new boiler.

New boiler and poweflush might be £800 more than mending yours, depending on several factors.

By the way, where's it leaking from?

Blimey...

> Have you got trv's on at least your bedroom rads?
Not sure - all old single rads, quite rusty :(

> Have you got a programmer, and room and cylinder thermostats?
Yes to all I think

> Does your HW cylinder comply with current Building Regs?
Doubt it, old and knackered....

> Where would the condensate pipe go?
Not sure what that is.

> Is the flue position OK for a steamer?
As above, don't know anything about that

> Do the electrics comply with current standards and BR?
Have been worked on within last 2 years so hope so

> Got any rad valves which will need replacing when the flush is done??
Dunno

> Is the boiler in a tight space - more relevant for changing the h/e than replacing the boiler.
Yes in a cupbaord with about 150mm gap each side

> Any problems with the above add to the cost of the new boiler.

> New boiler and poweflush might be £800 more than mending yours, depending on several factors.

> By the way, where's it leaking from?
The casing on the right hand side where the two nuts fit the HE to the bracket.

NBee said:
Just two of us.

I'm not keen on overspending, as we are hoping to move on within a year or two, meaning that we wouldn't really get our money back.

Problem to consider if your selling after 2007 will be the home buyers pack from our friendly ODPM and The Right Hon T Bliar :LOL:

You will probably have to update your system and spend thousands having everything checked out and certificated before you can sell the place that includes the electric and the loo roll :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

ChrisR said:
where the two nuts fit

Well, if nothing else is up to standard, got any chewing gum?

You jest, but I do love those quick fixes, and was wandering if there was a way of fixing this leak from the outside, spraying on etc...

Maybe I could get a welder in :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back