Advice on opening up under stairs space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have an very large understairs cupboard which you enter through a door in the living room. I want to integrate the understairs space into the office.

I'm unsure if this is possible as both the side walls off the understairs are solid brick walls (single skin) that continue up into the second floor.

One builder has looked at it and says that they would only be able to put a doorway in which wouldn't really open up the space much, I was hoping to open the whole space up, search "understairs office" to see what I'm after.

Is it worth getting a second opinion on this or is this just not possible?

Thanks.

(current set up)

Sponsored Links
It is likely that both walls will be load-bearing. In this case, you would need to remove the whole wall, and insert a beam above at ceiling level to support the wall (and possibly the bedroom floor) above.
You would then be left with an open triangle above the stairs, which can be filled with timber studwork and plasterboard, fixed to the timber string of the staircase.

It may be that a door is needed to protect the stairs in the event of a fire, so building regs issue.

Sponsored Links
It may be that a door is needed to protect the stairs in the event of a fire, so building regs issue.

Yes - overlooked that point - and it would also be a b/r issue on the structural side anyway, plus underside of stairs would need lining to 1/2hr f.r.

Yes the builder said the whole room would need to be plastered boarded and a few other bits and bobs for building regs

It is likely that both walls will be load-bearing. In this case, you would need to remove the whole wall, and insert a beam above at ceiling level to support the wall (and possibly the bedroom floor) above.
You would then be left with an open triangle above the stairs, which can be filled with timber studwork and plasterboard, fixed to the timber string of the staircase.

Thanks. Not what I wanted to here 'cause this seems like a major undertaking but thank you very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back