Understairs cupboard removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All first post so Hello to all.

If this is not in the right area feel free to move :)

I'm looking at opening up the understairs cupboard so we have a bit more room but more importantly to make it look lighter. Just a couple of questions as I'm fairly new to DIY and don't want to end up wrecking my house!

The cupboard seems to be contructed from plywood or something like that and I'm assuming its all just attached to a wooden "frame" and then has a door to access the space under the stairs. Could I be pretty sure that this would not have any structural properties? It sounds very hollow and looks like its just there to make a cupboard rather than hold up anything other than the door.

Also when in the cupboard the sloping part that is currently plastered and papered over (in some 60's flowered paper!!) stops and then goes vertically until it meets the floor. Would there be any problem with me removing the plasterboard and continuing the slope right down to the first step so there is more "open space"??

Thanks very much and apologies for the simple questions!

Sponsored Links
The cupboard seems to be contructed from plywood or something like that and I'm assuming its all just attached to a wooden "frame" and then has a door to access the space under the stairs. Could I be pretty sure that this would not have any structural properties? It sounds very hollow and looks like its just there to make a cupboard rather than hold up anything other than the door.

Not structural - just take it to bits (rip it apart).

Also when in the cupboard the sloping part that is currently plastered and papered over (in some 60's flowered paper!!) stops and then goes vertically until it meets the floor. Would there be any problem with me removing the plasterboard and continuing the slope right down to the first step so there is more "open space"??

Yes - no problems there.

Obviously you will need to board in the underside of the stairs.

excellent cheers mate, was pretty sure about it but just wanted to double check I suppose just in case.

not plasterboarded anything before so that will give me something new to learn then will give it a go skimming over the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back