Can concrete lintel be removed...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently refitting our bathroom, first DIY project, and taking my time to make sure everything goes to plan. The only major job I've got is to remove a bricked area that extends in to the bathroom from the area under the stairs.

The house is a 1930's build, the bathroom is L-shaped, situated at the rear of the house on the ground floor. An area of the cupboard underneath the stairs extends into the bathroom, about 1m high and about 0.5m x 0.7m in size. The floor of the

The wall above the gap that separates the bathroom and the understairs area has a 1m high gap at the base and a reinforced concrete lintel across the gap(about 0.2m x 0.2m).

On removing the 1m high wall in the bathroom (single brick thickness) and starting to hammer out the concrete top (about 65mm think, sitting in to the walls about a brick's depth), I've found that this a steel bar crossing the gap about half way through. There are also thin pieces of slate above and below the slab where it sits in the walls.

Now I'm worried that the reason that the weird understairs extension in to the bathroom is there for a very good reason, and why it's never been removed. Which was what I was hoping against.

If I remove this concrete block shelf (which sits just above the reinforced concrete lintel level under the stairs), brick in the area below the lintel, and brick in the gaps it's left in the walls, will the structure still be sound, or do I need to reinforce the gaps it's left in the walls with something more sturdy... or do I need to stop what I'm doing, replace the block and brick it back up?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated!

concrete-block.jpg

Sponsored Links
Quite tricky to tell without seeing. But my guess would be it was for supporting something, maybe a corbelled chimney that has now been removed, or a water tank although it seems overkill for that. It is unlikely to have been some sort of lateral brace. I suspect from your picture it could come out, but can not say for sure from your pics

could it have been an air-raid shelter? It's not one of the common types. Is the space under it big enough to get a couple of bunk beds in?

Or could it ever have been a balcony,if there was a door or large window above?

Are you able to ask your neighbours if they have a similar construction,what it does,if they've taken it out?

Sponsored Links
The small space under is probably big enough for a couple of people to crouch in and there's the remains of an old Anderson shelter in the garden (next big project...) so may not have been shelter related, but could have been extra protection. The water tank would make sense as it's about the right size, and not too sure about how the plumbing was set up originally.

Think a trip next door is in order, see if anyone else had any trouble removing it.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back