Lintel and mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Belated thanks to the Expert Regulars who assisted me recently with advice concerning a fire door installation.

I am now running through what I need to do to put the lintels in place.

I propose to insert two 65 x 100 x 1200 reinforced concrete lintels side by side into the space left by removing a single course of bricks in a 9 inch solid wall. (each side)

Obviously there is room for the lintel, but I am concerned about getting enough mortar into the bearing areas below the lintel ends (150mm x 9 ins.) and also between the lintel and the brick course above.

What I would like to know is: what should the mortar mix proportions be in this situation and can the mix be made wet enough to be pumped into the gaps with a modified mastic gun (with an enlarged nozzle ?

Many thanks to you all.

Sponsored Links
Usual procedure is to pack tightly with slate above and below the lintel prior to pointing and then fully pack the joints with mortar. This ensures the lintel is well bedded on a firm surface rather than being allowed to slump into the mortar due to it's weight.

What type of slate do you mean please - or am I confusing myself with tiles?
Thank you

You use roof slate available from any good builders merchants. Don't go for artificial slate , just good old fashioned roofing slate.

Sponsored Links
DAZB,

Thank you for helping me understand the lintel fixing process.

Some DIY books can be very vague on this type of information, you have been a big help.

You are fussing too much about the laying process.

You could practically set them dry if you wanted too.

You only need to introduce such things as solid packers when the bedding mortar is excessively thick. If the mortar bed is to be particularly thin then it pays to wet the masonry first, apply the mortar then rub the lintel down into place.

There is nowt wrong with artificial slate, clay tiles, concrete tiles, paving slabs etc when searching for a packing material.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back