Advice on paint/varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have quite specific request to what I need to use on the top of Pure Brilliant White Dulux Silk Emulsion Paint on the bedroom ceiling.
I have used this in 3 coats on a new plaster and it came out nice and consistent, but now I am looking for something specific I could mix luminescent powder with - don't ask, it's a kids bedroom. ;)
Brill white is used as base coat for better effect. And now I need a clear coat I could cover this area with a roller and a brush in the corners.
Apparently it could be any clear resin/varnish/gel coat/sealer/pva etc. but it has to be non-water based, UV resistant/non-yellowing, clear binder. It should be able to stick to the silk Dulux paint and it won't crack or come off after some time.
I have used recommended epoxy resin which ended up with a disaster as it cured in 20mins (You can imagine I did not paint the whole 13 sq m ceiling in this time)
I barely finished painting moulding as I wasn't ready for this fast hardening time.
All I got from the manufacturer was "oh yeah, it cures faster when mixed in large quantities (1kg).. So...
The question is could I paint the mentioned ceiling with a solvent-based varnish or have You got any suggestion what should I use as I binder (clear, non-water based, UV resistant paint) and preferably where I can get it from as most of the paints are water-based..
Thank You for any help

P.S. I am sorry if I am confusing You, English is not my 1st language.
Stefan

Sponsored Links
Anyone care to help me out? I know my post was a bit exhausting, what I meant to ask was:
Is it OK to use solvent based varnish on top of PBW Dulux silk paint? Thank You

Yes you can use varnish over emulsion, but I don't think I could ever understand why you would use varnish on a ceiling. Beats me completely. Be fun trying to paint the ceiling again later!!!
Oh and yeah, I should imagine that an oil based varnish over white will probably yellow over time.

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for a reply.. The thing is, it doesn't have to be varnish, but it has to be something I could mix luminescent powder with. And the specs for that is: Clear, non-water based and UV resistant.
The only thing with these specs I could find was varnish.
If You have any idea, what I could use instead of varnish and preferably where I can get it from would be great.
I appreciate Your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back