Advice on Project is it do-able?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Been lurking for a while so thought I'd get your sage advice.

My house is an ex council house around 1980's build (with concrete walls as far as I can tell). I need to change my back door including frame to a UPVC one as the wooden one currently in place is rotting through.

Question is

Is this a reasonable project for a DIY'er or is it best to get pro's in?

If reasonable any suppliers for UPVC frames and door out there?

Sponsored Links
As a fairly competent DIYer, I would say yes. providing that you research the project thoroughly. If you are practical, the fitting of the door and frame is quite straightforward and many of the larger DIY stores can supply the door and frame at surprisingly low prices. together with comprehensive advice and instructions. As in any area of construction/ building etc, you would pay the professionals for their time and expertise but, if time is not important, and you want to save money, the DIY approach is not too complicated. I got my doors from B & Q and the three which I have fitted have turned out to be a good and inexpensive investment. In these times, you have to take notice of the necessary building regulations but, these are fairly easily obtained and understood by those carrying out their own work. If there is any aspect of the work, ie, are suitable lintels already installed above the door aperture, floor levels which you might not be happy with, weather sealing etc, do get advice. In these days there are thousands of very competent plumbers, builders, electricians etc, who work on, and maintain that most complex and dangerous device, the motor car, and the competent and sensible DIYer should not be inhibited from venturing into areas which might otherwise be thought of as the exclusive domain of the professional.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back