Door replacement, can't find right size :-(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd appreciate some advice or pointing in the right direction. The old wooden back door of my garage is rotting away. The aperture in the brickwork that the door and frame fits into is 36 inches wide by 79 inches tall (915mm x 2007mm).

I cannot find a door and frame set off the shelf to fit in this aperture. The closest I can find are steel security door sets that are available with expandable frames that can be adjusted width-wise, but they are all already too tall (2075mm). There's not any obvious easy way to make the existing hole taller (only two layers of brickwork at the top, and solid concrete at the bottom). UPVC is double the price of steel, presumably a lot less secure, and doesn't come in the right size either.

Is there something I'm missing? I'm looking for an easy, reasonably-priced solution. Is there one?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Give us a sketch or photo of your old door to show the style. Is it very exposed to weather?

Is this a garage holding valuable tools and vehicles that attract thieves? What is the front door like?

Is your budget around a thousand pounds?

It seems to me that you could use a 32" wide external wooden door, and assemble a wooden frame to fit.

If you want it cheap, borrow a roof rack and advertise on Facebook and freegle. There are no end of high quality hardwood front doors being thrown out by people who want to devalue their homes by sticking in a bit of white plastic.

I bought some for my shed and workshop at prices between £0 and £12.

Very often you get a Chubb and a yale lock fitted with it.

You can alter the height with a saw.

The old door is wood and maybe 50 years old. I don't want the same kind of door, so is it helpful to see a picture of the old one? If you really think so I can take one. It's an external door, so it is exposed to the elements. The front door is a metal up and over type. There's only tools in there. Not anything particularly 'valuable', but I still wouldn't like to lose any of it.

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that you could use a 32" wide external wooden door, and assemble a wooden frame to fit.

If you want it cheap, borrow a roof rack and advertise on Facebook and freegle. There are no end of high quality hardwood front doors being thrown out by people who want to devalue their homes by sticking in a bit of white plastic.

I bought some for my shed and workshop at prices between £0 and £12.

Very often you get a Chubb and a yale lock fitted with it.

You can alter the height with a saw.
That's not a bad idea if I can't find an off the shelf solution. I'm presuming that you don't think there is one?

Some sheds have an LBF door, which can easily be made to measure by anyone with a saw and a hammer. I had a carpenter make one for me, because I am no good at woodwork, that's why I wanted an idea of what you have. But a good, panelled, hardwood door is better if you can swallow the indignity of second-hand.

There are no end of high quality hardwood front doors being thrown out by people who want to devalue their homes by sticking in a bit of white plastic.

Any opportunity to have a dig at uPVC and John is there front and centre. Quit living in the 80s John things have moved on, we can get different colours now you know

That's not a bad idea if I can't find an off the shelf solution. I'm presuming that you don't think there is one?

I just looked, and 2032 x 813 x 44 mm is one of the off-the-shelf sizes.

UK external doors are typically 32" wide, but 30" is quite common. They are also made in 28" and 36" which are rarer. I once had an older house with a 48" door which I thought very grand.

I just looked, and 2032 x 813 x 44 mm is one of the off-the-shelf sizes.

UK external doors are typically 32" wide, but 30" is quite common. They are also made in 28" and 36" which are rarer. I once had an older house with a 48" door which I thought very grand.
But that's too tall (my aperture is 2007mm tall). The current door is 32 3/4 inches wide by 77 inches tall, so one of those door blanks looks the best bet so far. Either that or keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one. I don't mind if it's fifth hand, as long as it does the job!

But that's too tall (my aperture is 2007mm tall). The current door is 32 3/4 inches wide by 77 inches tall, so one of those door blanks looks the best bet so far. Either that or keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one. I don't mind if it's fifth hand, as long as it does the job!

A substantial wooden door can be trimmed. Your old door might once have been 33" x 80" or 34" x 82"
You can assemble a new door frame. The sides are important but you can butt the head against the face of the door.

Cut it off the bottom and treat it with several coats of wood preserver (not stain) on bare edges before repainting.

Last edited:
Any opportunity to have a dig at uPVC and John is there front and centre. Quit living in the 80s John things have moved on, we can get different colours now you know
The other day I went to see an old friend and I though I was looking at a beautiful oak door, until I got up close.
It is a composite door, but blimey, it looks like real wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back