Odd sized door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage currently has a hole in the brickwork where I would prefer there to be a door. Unfortunatly the size of this hole (80.5"x36.5") doesn't seem to match any standard door/frame sizes. The closest standard door height seems to be 78"x33" and, and this needs an 82"x37" frame. However Wickes reckon you shouldn't shave more than 1/2" from each edge, meaning I can get the width but would have to shave off more than reccomended to get the height. Plus I'd need to make some fairly extensive modifications to the frame.

Questions are:
a) How easy is going to be to trim down the frame, and is trimming too much off the door going to weaken it too much.
b) How expensive would it be to get a custom made frame and door, and does anyone know of a company near Aldershot that would do it?

Thanks

Chris.

Sponsored Links
Surely it woudn`t be to hard to make a frame to fit the hole.
It isn`t be rocket science.

the brick work opening size (very snug fit) for a standard 6'-6" x 2'-9" door and frame is 36.5" (925mm) wide by 79.5" (2020mm) high.

this refers to a door frame without sill.

these are measurements we use on a regular basis for fire door and frame requirements on openings from dwelling to garage. ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks

I've now managed to find a frame which is skinnier than the ones Wickes had, and with a bit of carefull trimming an planing it gives me an opening 77.5"x32.5", so I'll only need to loose 1/4 inch all the way around the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back