Advice on removing exhaust bolts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Its the first time I've posted so I apologise if I miss something!

I am trying to remove two (what I think are) bolts securing the mid pipe of my exhaust to the manifold but I cant even identify what they are? Can anyone advise please as to what they are and how to get them off!!

Many thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
The first four pics are of the nuts - or whats left of them after heat and rust have taken their toll - and the last pic is of the captive bolt head thats welded to the flange.
To split the exhaust, the nuts will have to come off - either by tapping a socket on to them, or by cutting the nut off with an angle grinder (and replacing the other part of the flange too.
The two pieces of exhaust (cat and pipe) mate together to form a bell flange - which are good to prevent gas leaks. The flange holds the two together.
John :)

Can you get a hacksaw blade in the gap between the two flanges, too cut the bolts?

Then drill out the captive heads and replace with ordinary 8mm bolts and plain nuts.

If you had the inclination you might be able to weld a larger nut onto the old ones, but not easy, but it might just save the bolt threaded part for you. The heat will also help things along.

Welcome to the forum ................... :cool:

Centre pop the captive heads and drill out the studs, start off with a small drill bit and work up to something like 8mm in size.
You will need some M8 Bolts, nuts and washers as suggested if you do this to refit the exhaust, i find its the easiest way for the least amount of swearing and knuckle skinning!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all you advice it really helped! I ended up drilling the bolts and repeatedly smacking at it with a hammer and chisel until the bolts broke. Got the rubber bungs off the back box and then spent over an hour wrestling with the bloody thing to try to get it off without success!!

I've removed the heat guard around the petrol tank to increase room but still no joy! I just don't get it!

So whats happening now....?
Have you removed the clamp in the picture, and the pipe still won't part or something?
I presume you are fitting a new exhaust to your car...if the one in place is original, often they are fitted before things like the rear axle are bolted into place - so they have to be cut off with an angle grinder.
John :)

It could well be the original so I think you might have a point. I had tries to use a junior hacksaw but got nowhere fast so I gave up. I'm glad I checked back with the forum so soon as I was just starting to strip the rear bumper down in an attempt to get a couple more mm to work with! As I don't have an angle grinder to hand I'm going to call it a night and borrow one tomorrow.

Many many thanks again to everyone for all of the help!

James

Don't forget to support the car with the wheels dangling in the air, to ensure you have maximum room around the back suspension components.

All sorted! Cut the old exhaust out and then the rest was fairly easy!! Thanks again all!!

James

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back