Advice on replacing Central Heating Room Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to replace my existing manual room thermostat which is a “Danfoss Randal RMT 230”,
but could do with a bit of advice.

Due to the current location of the existing unit, tight up against my sitting room door! I could do with
a bit of advice on which model I should replace it with and which would work with the current wiring
(which is shown in the images below).

Due to the location, as said above, is next to a door and in close proximity to my TV unit,
would I be better to go for a wireless unit? (price dependent).

I would preferably like to go for a electronic 7 Day programmable room thermostat.
Also, the hole in the wall that the existing unit fixes badly into, is 80 x 80mm so would the new unit
would need to cover this up, but still be able to fix onto the wall, I may have to turn the new one
90 degrees (i.e. mount it vertically) so that it can cover up the hole.

Please note I will be attempting to install the unit myself, so needs to be simple =)

Also is there anything else I will need to look out for i.e. matching voltages etc..? and would my
type/make of boiler make any difference in which one I should go for?

FYI.
My boiler is: Glow-worm Ultimate 50 FF Non-Condensing Gas Conventional (Regular) boiler

I would be willing to spend approx £100 max on the new unit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Images of current unit:

Current wiring
DanfossRandall_RMT_currentwiringinbox.jpg

Wiring diagram
DanfossRandall_RMT230_wiringdiagram.jpg

overview of location
DanfossRandal_RMT230_overview.jpg

Boiler:Glow-worm Ultimate 50 FF Non-Condensing Gas Conventional (Regular) boiler
boiler.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why has the boiler's serial number been blotted out?

Has it been stolen?

LOL, No the boiler is not stolen.

It's just out of habit for when posting images online.
I always blank serial numbers out (in image editing software),
it's not actually blanked out on the boiler plate.

Do you need to know the serial number?

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean you have a single gang flush metal box behind?

Replace it with a Honeywell CM907. Use the right hand hole for the far right screw in the cm907 and reuse the m3.5 fixing screw.

You will need to drill a hole to secure the left hand side of the unit.

Make off the blue wire safely into a loose connector block and park in the metal backbox. Connect the red and yellow to the CM907 terminals A & B.

I could have done it quicker than writing this - but then we do install about 4 a week.

For that sort of money you have a huge choice in thermostats.

Another option that you may want to consider is an internet enabled thermostat. OK it's a little more than your budget, but it will do everything you want + a whole lot more.
Here is one from Inspire Home Automation.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180998849450?var=&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Note. I was on the design team for this so i may have a slightly biased opinion, but that does mean I can answer any questions you may have.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back