Advice on roof issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a 1950's detach bungalow. There is an issue which I have noticed in the loft. There are 4 brick built hangers supporting the purlin. One of them is cracked. See first picture. I would like to get some info about how easy it is to fix and whether this is a major structural issue.

One side of the gable, there seems so be no lintel in a upvc door and window and there are vertical cracks running to the top of the door. Light can be seen in the first picture in the loft where the mortar joint are. Could anyone give a ballpark figure of the cost to install two lintels, 1 above door and one above a window and to remove and rebed the bricks with cracked mortar joint. Thank you
20210717_114737.jpg

Attachments

• 20210717_114744.jpg
    20210717_114744.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210717_114850.jpg
    20210717_114850.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had the same issue with a crack and lean to a brick pier supporting my purlin.
In my case it was obvious that the movement was historic. A building inspector (around for another issue) suggested repointing and using steel straps to tie the bricks into place.
In your case the lean looks more pronounced than mine.
In order to do a proper replacement, the purlin will need to be acro-propped from the floor below in order to rebuild the pier. Mine was over a stairway so would have been fairly impracticle.
I hope that helps.

I had the same issue with a crack and lean to a brick pier supporting my purlin.
In my case it was obvious that the movement was historic. A building inspector (around for another issue) suggested repointing and using steel straps to tie the bricks into place.
In your case the lean looks more pronounced than mine.
In order to do a proper replacement, the purlin will need to be acro-propped from the floor below in order to rebuild the pier. Mine was over a stairway so would have been fairly impracticle.
I hope that helps.

Thank you. That was helpful. We intend to remove the ceiling and replasterboard and as it is a bungalow, we should be able to acro-propped the purlin. Was concerned whether this will be a major job where part of the roof will have to be removed.

Was concerned whether this will be a major job where part of the roof will have to be removed.
Simple enough job once a large amount of ceiling plasterboard is removed and the purlin is safely propped each side.
I'd include some clever positioning of timber uprights to prevent that pier rotating again in the future.

Sponsored Links
The (near) vertical strut to the front of the cracked brick pier might be doing the job of supporting the purlin at that point, especially if it is sitting on a structural wall.

Blup

Thank you everyone for your input. It is reasurring.

Noseall, could you please comment on the lintel issue on the gable end i mentioned above please.

There probably should/would have been a mid span tie there to prevent that very thing from happening in the first place, rather than that light coloured timber higher up doing jack.

There probably should/would have been a mid span tie there to prevent that very thing from happening in the first place, rather than that light coloured timber higher up doing jack.
I was surprised when i saw the timber sizes when I went into the loft. They look quite small in comparison to other roof I have seen in 1930's semi. The lack of any span tie was something that crossed my mind. The ridge is just a ridge board so the weight of the roof will normally try to push the rafters away as opppose if it was a ridge beam. But I thought if that things has been up since 1950's it should be ok. I did not think that they might have been removed at some point.

Do you think if i were to put in collar ties at the top 1/3 height in alternate rafters will prevent the roof from spreading?

The property is a probate sale so cant get any info from the seller as a company is looking after the sale for the estate.

The rafters are deflecting not spreading, so you need to stop the centre of the rafters bending in at the purlin, not spreading at the ends. So collar ties wont help

As is common in these situations the purlin and rafters are already bowed and won't go back, and as direction of force is not vertical but more perpendicular to the rafter, vertical props wont do.

The rafters are deflecting not spreading, so you need to stop the centre of the rafters bending in at the purlin, not spreading at the ends. So collar ties wont help

As is common in these situations the purlin and rafters are already bowed and won't go back, and as direction of force is not vertical but more perpendicular to the rafter, vertical props wont do.
Thanks Woody.

You reckon if I put in ties between the purlins(that is fixed to purlin on left and fixed to purlin on right) it will prevent the roof from deflecting more? And if i were to put in some strut from purlin to the supporting wall underneath on timber bearers will that help?

I am having second thought on that bungalow now

Its a very simple thing to remedy, and this issue alone should not put you off the property

Either a rafter tie above the purlin, or an angled strut - if you have a suitable point to take the load. There are more elaborate options to enable the loft void to be kept clear.

Thank you. I am thinking of getting a structural engineer to inspect and report on the roof pillar defect and crack at one of the gable end due to missing lintel on a door and window.

I will be asking him to check the roof timber and give a solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back