Loose Wall Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recentley bought a new double glazed window and upvc door for my detached garage, the garage is only single brick with no lintel above existing door and window, the problem I have is that the mortar in the brickwork directly above the door and window is loose so when I remove the old ones I am pretty sure that it will collapse.

I think that I need to repoint the brickwork but do not know how far I should grind out the old mortar with it only being single brick and what to use (I have seen mortar rakes in the Screwfix catalogue is this the best method)??

Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
TYNEPL

Sponsored Links
Fit a lintel.

It my not be load bearing but at the end of the day at least it will tie the walls together. It's most likely slight movement thats caused the mortar to fail in the first place.

The problem is that I have already bought the door and the window which were bought to size, if I put in a lintel they will not fit.

Sponsored Links
TYNEPL said:
the garage is only single brick with no lintel above existing door and window,

the problem I have is that the mortar in the brickwork directly above the door and window is loose

Photo's would help.

If there is brickwork above the existing Window/Door, remove this and fit lintel in it's place.

But before removing anything, please make sure that if load bearing, the load is supported during the fitting.

Sorry chaps, I will post a photo of the wall tomorrow,

But to keep you thinking until then, mine is a flat roof garage and there are only three bricks between the top of the window and door and the garage roof, I have Acro props that I could use to hold the brickwork in place when I take out the window and door but when I remove them to put in the new UPVC ones it will probably fall.

Enough hyperthetical talk from me, it will become clearer when you see the photo tomorrow.

Thanks for your replies.

tynepl_1.jpg

tynepl_2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back