Advice On Soldering Technique

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I try to solder small end feed elbows, connectors, etc I don't have too many problems. When I try to solder bigger fittings, especially 22mm tees it seems to go pear-shaped. :oops:

Which of these two techniques is correct;

1) point the flame onto one branch of the tee until the solder starts to flow in. Then point the flame at the second branch, let the solder flow, then do the same with the third branch

2) point the flame at the middle of the tee (where the 3 braches meet), and keep it here without moving the flame until solder flows into a branch, then put solder on other 2 branches

Or is none of these correct?

Sponsored Links
I heat each pipe up indivually about an inch away from fitting, after a little heat move the flame towards the fitting and solder starts to run.

In what way does it go 'pear shaped' ??

Have had a few leak, because the solder hasn't penetrated properly. Sometimes it takes ages, and I can't seem to get solder into the fitting. Do larger fittings take a while before solder starts to flow?

I don't think my technique with tees is right, wanted to know how the pros do them.

Sponsored Links
I heat each pipe up indivually about an inch away from fitting, after a little heat move the flame towards the fitting and solder starts to run.

So , you're saying flame onto the pipe near its branch then onto the branch of the tee, add solder, then flame onto the second pipe - move to second pipe's branch add solder, then the same with the third?

Have you tried Mapp gas, to be honest, 22mm fittings aren't particularly large, just heat it up and let the solder do the work.

If a vertical joint, start at bottom and work up.

Important to clean the pipe/fitting thoroughly and what flux do you use??

....................and don't say 'what's flux' :LOL:

Have you tried Mapp gas, to be honest, 22mm fittings aren't particularly large, just heat it up and let the solder do the work.

If a vertical joint, start at bottom and work up.

Important to clean the pipe/fitting thoroughly and what flux do you use??

....................and don't say 'what's flux' :LOL:

Fry flux in a yellow jar. I usually brush a light smear on. Should I be putting lots on?

Nah, just brush it on as though you were painting the end of the pipe.

I use Laco regular soldering paste, never got on with anything else

Agree.

The only slightly difficult thing about soldering is doing a vertical joint and getting a clean bottom joint ie. no solder running down the pipe.

I tend to apply heat until flux runs then give the pipe/fitting a little wipe with spongue then apply solder to the back (unseen section) of the joint and wait for it to run around to the front

if it is taking too long, you are overheating the joint and killing the flux, i use a red propane bottle with "ordinary" nozzle and find if i apply the flame, count to 8 the first joint starts to run, the a second or so on each of the other ends works fine, always do the upside down joint first to minimise solder run down the pipe, another thought is to use the flame to heat the pipe NOT the solder, when the pipe is hot enough dab the solder onto the pipe and it runs round lovely, as already posted i also heat the front of the pipe and apply solder to the back and when you see the solder at the front you know it has ran round

I was always taught that the solder is drawn towards the heat, so I heat the middle of the fitting, maybe moving out to halfway along the socket on bigger stuff. Pipe/fittings are ready to solder when you get a green tinge to the flame (well I always use that as an indicator anyway). Don't try to heat too fast, patience is better especially for a clean joint. Make sure your pipe and fittings are clean or you're dead before you start.

On vertical joints, I heat slightly towards the bottom and continually but slowly apply the solder to the top until it appears around the bottom, if you get it right you'll get a good joint with no dribbles at either end. For a really neat job it's best to apply the solder to the back as bathstyle said.

I think you'll find that the responses here vary so much you'll end up with no clear answer at the end. It could be that your blowtorch isn't hot enough as well, cheap ones tend to kick out less heat than expensive ones, which is partly why the pros all spend around £50 on theirs...

Thanks, a few different methods to try to see what works best for me.

Are you all (or most) agreed that Laco flux is the way forward?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back