Advice on Tender process for Contractor (2 Story Home Extension)

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Have been planning for a while to get a 2-Story extension done on the house, I have a friend who is an architect and he has basically done me the favor of sorting out the design and the planning process (attached the actual PDF of the plans in this post) etc............all of which has been approved :)

So now is the time to get on with the actual work itself, and i think we will be going through the route of looking for a main contractor (as opposed to self-managed) as I have no experience in building work.

I've looked online and read through some guides on how to approach the process but we all know you can't get any better than some personalized advice from this forum. These are things which i assume that i will need to have in place:

1. Contract in regards to the work being carried out along with the level of quality and expectation of the final build (possibly something in there to do with timescale also?). I have heard of people mentioning JCT contracts?

2. Insurance for the extension work, and insurance for any accidents to my property whilst being extended?

3. Is it normal to have the set price agreed? so many times i see ppl saying that they went x% over budget, but i assumed that a price agreed was exactly that?

4. Payment method, for lets say a project costing from £20-£30k would this be paid in stages in regards to the work progress, and keeping a 5% retainer for things on a snag list?

5. Will it also be cheeky to ask to provide a breakdown of the quote e.g. how much for masonry work, electrical, plumbing, just so i can evaluate if each part of the quote is reasonable.

6. relating to the previous question, asking for the receipts for the materials that are being used, is this a common thing as i have had house work done before whereby i said that i would only pay the price for materials upon receiving the receipt, not sure if this also works for building works?

Sorry for the long thread, but as you can see i'm pretty much starting from square 1 (y)

p.s. if anybody has any recommendations in the Manchester/Salford area please don't hesitate to let me know

Attachments

• Level 0 (Ground Floor) Ceiling Plan.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 343
  • Level 0 (Ground Floor) Plan as Proposed.pdf
    118.7 KB · Views: 297
  • Level 1 (First Floor) Plan as Proposed.pdf
    125.7 KB · Views: 264
  • Sections as Proposed.pdf
    442.7 KB · Views: 302
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back