Advice on the new Baxi Bermuda BBU 15 HE condencing boiler

gms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at replacing for convenience of installation, our very old Baxi 554 BBU with the latest Baxi BBU 15 HE. Has anyone here installed one? had any problems with one? Or know of any alternative that could be fitted in the existing fire place? I realise they are very expensive!

Thanks in advance

Garry

Sponsored Links
I have seen one of these at the Baxi offices.

Its a nice little unit and quite easy to install.

The only problem is the flue has to be fitted from the top and this would usually need scaffolding.

Its not cheap to buy but the convenience of replacing in situ is an advantage.

The electric fire is a clever solution to the problems of gas fires.

Tony

• Thanks
Reactions: gms
And comes with 6m of thin tube and can pump up to 3m in height.

Very similar to the Worcester HiFlow 440/550 in this respect.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The feedback we engineers have had is so far so good. Obviously, the engine has been tried and tested, the fire is proven and only the flue is an unknown but it looks ok so far

• Thanks
Is a new flue mandatory? I already have the old version of this backboiler and am thinking of a like for like repacement. My flue has been there for 25 years!

New flue mandatory.

The new boiler is HE ie condensiing and this condensate is acidic.....your flue will be metal.....acid and metal equals rust/rot.

New plastic flue has to be fitted

• Thanks
Whats up with your present back boiler what makes you want to change it.

I thought stainless steel was not effected by condensate.

WRT flue, new backboiler must have dedicated flue as it feeds the burner with fress air as well as evacuate products of combustion.

What is wrong with existing boiler?

DP asked - What is wrong with existing boiler?

Other than my boiler is old and by modern standards inefficient and therefore wasteful in terms of energy, it works fine.

I realise that modern boilers will be inferior in terms of build quality.

gms

How much would you quote labour only to install a new BBU terminal and flue on a three bed semi with the chimney on the party wall?

Tony

I note that the fire is electric.
Is this hardwired into the ring or does it need a separate circuit?
What is the load on the fire at max?
We never use the gas fire bit of our Bermuda, so could the unit be installed with the fire not actually connected? The reason I ask is that our shower takes a big load already and I wouldn't want to pop the main cutout accidentally. We have no other electric fires in the house though, so I expect it would be OK.
(Please don't recommend a fuse upgrade - I can't bear the thought of dealing with EDF Networks ever again - don't ask!)

usually just a 3kw fire and just on a plug and into the ring.
There is no need to have a fire with these as it is not an integral part of the appliance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back