Advice on the right time to start a roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

I have a dilema.

I have carpenters lined up to do the roof carcass this saturday and sunday, all the timber is being delivered tomorrow.

Had a bit of rain yesterday and today and of course this has stopped the brickies from finishing today, instead, they'll finish tomorrow.

The problem is, they're 3 course away from wall plate level....they should have it knocked out by 2ish Friday.

My concern is this.......will the wall be too green come saturday morning to fix the wall plate and thereafter the joists and rafters?

The concern is driven by the fact that these chippies are working weekdays and are only available this weekend....and of course I have the 2nd fix roofing lined up for Monday!!

I'm willing to take the gamble but that's me.....I'd love a bit of feedback from you all please

My decision will be based on the feedback you guys give me.

Cheers

Gary

Sponsored Links
The wall plates will need bedding as soon as the blocks are up to level.

So long as the chippies know what they are doing then they should not disturb the lower courses. Don't be too alarmed if you see the wall plate separate from the bedding mortar once the chippies start hammering, this is perfectly normal and is not meant to be 'mortared down' in any case. That is the job for the straps.

If you are having a traditional cut roof then the plates will need to be parallel. However, the chippies should have little trouble tapping them into position once the mortar has gone off.

If they know what they are doing they will restrain the plates by stringing a couple of temporary joists across the plates to stop 'em spreading whilst they pitch the rafters up.

The wall plates will need bedding as soon as the blocks are up to level.

So long as the chippies know what they are doing then they should not disturb the lower courses. Don't be too alarmed if you see the wall plate separate from the bedding mortar once the chippies start hammering, this is perfectly normal and is not meant to be 'mortared down' in any case. That is the job for the straps.

If you are having a traditional cut roof then the plates will need to be parallel. However, the chippies should have little trouble tapping them into position once the mortar has gone off.

If they know what they are doing they will restrain the plates by stringing a couple of temporary joists across the plates to stop 'em spreading whilst they pitch the rafters up.

Thanks for the response. Bedding the wall plates straight after, no probs. It's also a cut roof, spot on there, but forgive me, when you say the wall plates need to be parallel, are you suggesting I need a wall plate on both the internal block skin AND the facing brick? I've only ordered enough 4 x 2 for the wall plate on the blockwork!!

Sponsored Links
Is it a lean-to roof?

Sorry, I should have gave you more detail...it's not, it's a full width extension, single storey, the roof pitches down on both sides (to meet the gable ends) so in effect, I have a wall plate for the joists full width then a wall plate above but not full width as it pitches down towards the two corners of the front elevation......have I confused you yet?? Sorry.

Sounds like a duo-pitch with a hip end to it.

I don't like explianing other's explanations, 'cos they're very capable of doing it themselves and they're more experienced than I, especially the respected lond-standing posters.
I think what Noseall meant is that the wallplates need to be parallel to each other. That is the wall plate on one wall needs to be parallel to it's opposing mate on the other wall. But you still only need one wallplate per inner skin. Nothing on the outer skin.

If it is duo-pitch witha hip, you'll need to half-lap the joints of the wallplate, in the corners.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back