Advice on this project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I removed an old faux fireplace and am attempting to plasterboard over the area on the chimney breast.

(see pic)

the top half of the wall has plaster and I want to basically butt up to this with plasterboard, and then skrim the gap.

I then intend to do patch repairs on the sides with board and compound, sand the whole thing and apply a lot of paint.

I am confused on how I cut the main board for the front of the chimney breast.

initial idea is to cut the board as wide as the plaster at the top. This will give a continuous width down the wall.

however, I have angle beads for the plaster board. These seem to poke out, so if I add these, this will protrude out meaning the corner of the breast will suddenly change.

Do I cut the board a little shorter to make allowance for the bead? If so, how much? Very difficult to judge.

Or, do I just bead the whole thing, plaster above included so it’s one line?

I was told in the shop that you don’t need to be a plasterer to cover joins and angle beads so it doesn’t necessarily have to be entirely skimmed by a pro (although I am sure this will look the best, I’m on a budget)

Any advice or comment appreciated here.

I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• 2F767A22-B025-4409-A577-8417D95F8E94.jpeg
    2F767A22-B025-4409-A577-8417D95F8E94.jpeg
    351 KB · Views: 123
  • 690B31C2-26B1-4ED7-9A40-FD175E89B15C.jpeg
    690B31C2-26B1-4ED7-9A40-FD175E89B15C.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
the front and sides will need to be skimmed to get it looking decent.
your angle beads should run the full height of each corner.
and remove all the rubble before contemplating boarding.

the front and sides will need to be skimmed to get it looking decent.
your angle beads should run the full height of each corner.
and remove all the rubble before contemplating boarding.

thanks.

when you say the rubble, I’ve chipped everything back so it’s lower thank the surface of the board. Do you mean the stones between the old fireplace and the brick?

Sponsored Links
yes and the old fireplace. you can leave it there , but the less stuff in there that can harbour moisture the better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back