Edge beading?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can help. I plan on dot and dabbing plaster board onto my chimney breast (back to brick at moment) and would like to plaster part of the chimney but leave the brick archway and surrounding area exposed. Would the best way to do this be to use an edge bead so the transition from plaster to brickwork is neat and tidy? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hello
Once you have dabbed ,you will have returns of about an inch.
Use ordinary skim beads for the two uprights and 3mm skim stop
bead for the arch.

Sponsored Links
Sorry Clive could you post a link to the beads you mean please? I'm struggling to locate beads with enough depth to cover a one inch reveal. Appreciate any help on this.

I think you may have to plaster the reveal, either with a 3 mm stop bed on the main face, or using a thin coat angle bead (that you may have to trim some of the wing off)

If you can get the board sitting on the surface without any gap <(or a very small one)behind it, then the edge bead in your link would be right.

Hello,
As you are dabbing ,your reveals could be greater than an inch.
To get it to like look right ,the board on the face of the wall has to be
plumb. The brick-work could be any shape ,plumb , falling back , falling
forward .
So unless the brick-work is perfect you will have reveals to plaster.
Use skim beads for the two uprights. (thin coat) , page 4 ref 553 ,554
For the arch, if it is shallow use a skim stop (thin coat) page 4 ref 560 , 561
If the arch has a small radius use , page 5 ref pfb 001 plastic bead.

http://www.averyknight.co.uk/downloads/expametarchformers.pdf

Most builders merchants stock these .Just check that the skim-stop
bends to your requirements. The plastic one bends to any shape but are
harder to use.

Thought I would finish this thread off with the final pic. As you can see I didn't go with the curve as didn't think I would pull it off, although fairly happy with end result. Thanks again guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back