Advice on treatment for stripped pine bathroom door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just had all the internal doors in our house dipped and stripped. We love the colour of the wood that was hiding underneath all the paint and are going to leave the majority of them untreated. However I'm a bit concerned that the bathroom door may now warp given that it'll be exposed to quite a bit of moisture on one side from showers every morning.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can treat the bathroom door with that will leave it looking a natrual colour and have a matt finish that will blend in with the other doors in the house?

Or does anyone know if it's okay to just treat one side of the door (i.e. the side that's facing inside the bathroom) to prevent it from absorbing too much moisture? Is this possible or is this a bad idea (will it then bend like a banana?!).

Any advice on suitable products or general adivce on what to do would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The doors need neutralizing before any finish is applied, often the dippers will do this but watered down vinegar will do it. Rinse off with clean water and allow to dry.

I can tell you that if you paint one side of any timber and leave the otherside unfinished it will warp, i'd guess the same will happen with varnish or stain but one of the others on here may know for sure[/u]

We've just had all the internal doors in our house dipped and stripped. We love the colour of the wood that was hiding underneath all the paint and are going to leave the majority of them untreated. However I'm a bit concerned that the bathroom door may now warp given that it'll be exposed to quite a bit of moisture on one side from showers every morning.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can treat the bathroom door with that will leave it looking a natrual colour and have a matt finish that will blend in with the other doors in the house?

Or does anyone know if it's okay to just treat one side of the door (i.e. the side that's facing inside the bathroom) to prevent it from absorbing too much moisture? Is this possible or is this a bad idea (will it then bend like a banana?!).

Any advice on suitable products or general adivce on what to do would be very gratefully received.

Before you consider applying any product you should first contact the company who dipped the doors to ensure that they have neutralised the doors, this is very important!! If they have not, come back and you will get further advice.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Its that great minds thing again!

At least Elrobbo might have learnt something!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked with the guy who dipped the doors and they're definitely neutralised. My concern about varnish is that I only want to treat the bathroom door but I still want the door to look effectively untreated so that it looks the same as our bedroom door which is right next to it and will remain untreated. Clearly just treating one side sounds like a bad idea!!

Anyone know of any thin-ish oils that would soak in, protect the door from moisture but still leave it looking pretty much untreated? Or am I clutching at straws?!

You have gone to the trouble of removing these doors and the expense of having them dipped, and the end result has offered you a view of both knots and grain of which offer an absolute flat appearance. I take it then that you like what you see.

In reality if you were to leave the doors untreated, the microscopic pores contained within the grain would soon become blocked and look rather stained and dirty in appearance, so your need here is to apply a product that will not two much alter what you have but a product that will enhance it.

Take a look at Polyvine wood finishes, pay attention to their extra pale dead flat varnish, this product will offer you not only a flat appearance it will both protect and indeed enhance what you have now.

Let me know your thoughts,

Dec

dont fall into the trap of thinking that just because you have a shower every morning the wooden door on the bathroom is going to warp because for the rest of the 23 hours theres no shower. And if you open a window, you will get air going through to take what damp you may have out and that will help. I know people that have furniture in their bathroom and they have no probs! If it was me I'd just brush one coat of oil based matt polyurathane on it.

We had our old pine doors stripped in caustic soda 20 odd years ago and waxed most of them (including the bathroom door) with 'clear' Briwax. It has proved very durable and shows off the honey coloured pine of the doors nicely. Every five years or so we have given them a wipe over with white spirit and re-applied a coat of wax.

The kitchen one was finished with a matt polyurethane varnish (oil based). That has been good too, as grubby/greasy marks wipe off very easily.

There are also lots of really good hard wax oils around these days (such as Osmo Polyx-oil) which give a nice patina without a high gloss.

It would be worth experimenting with various finishes on a piece of the same wood (old pine?) to see which you prefer.

Well one would never have thought it to be that simple would one.

Dec

Actually, one would. It should be equally simple to delete posts...yet it isn't.

And the italics and emboldening functions don't work, either.

Why's that, then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back