Help re treatment of clear pine internal doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had fitted 5 internal clear pine doors. Original doors were a dark teak.
Whilst new doors are a very light colour compared to the original, they are more suitable to a beige carpet and wallpaper.
The carpenter told me there was a wax polish treatment that you put on several coats that gradually darkened the doors until you arrived at the ideal colour.
I would appreciate any advice.

Regards, Bryan Lowe

Sponsored Links
i prefer using linseed oil i find waxing to be allot of work. linseed oil will darken it slightly in the same way.

it comes in bottles of two flavours; boiled and raw. go for the boiled variety. paint it on as heavy as you can without running then leave it for a few minutes to let it soak in (you could paint the other side in this time) then get an old cotton tshirt or pair of pants and wipe it up and down the door to remove any excess.

leave it for a couple of days then give it a light rub down with 00 or 000 grade wire wool and give it another coat. a bare door would be better with three coats, but you dont have to do them all in one go you could do a coat every weekend or once a month, whatever suits you.

i think its a really lovely finish but you can test it to see if you like it by doing the hinge edge of a door.

peteftw
Thanks for the suggestion of linseed oil and the application instructions.
I like the idea of progressing in stages.
One of the doors is to a brush cupboard, so I could test on the inside.

Regards, Bryan Lowe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back