Advice on unconventional heating arrangement needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our heating system is working perfectly, except that the Vaillant boiler has to modulate right down when only the underfloor heating manifold is being supplied. It needs water at 35°.This means the boiler is on for ages. It is annoyingly loud even at the minimum 4kW.

I have suggested a revised arrangement where the 250 Litre water tank is used as a heatstore. The boiler would work "flat out" until the tank is heated and then stop. The CH manifold would then be supplied by an additional pump and using the heating coil in the tank if the boiler is not running.

In my drawing the upper part is the present arrangement and the lower part is my revised idea.

I believe the reserve water in the tank will be fine for our baths, etc - and the boiler would kick in if the tank was to become too cool anyway.

My plumber is reluctant because my suggestion is unconventional and because the water will flow "backwards" if the CH is calling for water when the HW valve is closed.

Does anyone think my arrangement will work?

Attachments

• revised plumbing.jpg
    revised plumbing.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back