Advice on using a GAS TORCH for roofing felt (torch gum)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to re-roof my garage see pic....

DSC00006.jpg

I have never used a gas torch before and was hoping for some advice on heating the 'torch gum' felt I have.

I'm aware that you heat it up until you see it run, but not sure how much to do at a time.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks, Alan.

Sponsored Links
First thing make sure you've got a fire extinguisher or at least a bucket of water handy....

The melting point depends on which type or which manufacturers materials you're useing.....A full specification of what you intend doing to the roof would help....Are you doing a full torch-on system or a roll and pour first layer,is there any insulation invovled(PUR,or fibre board of some sort?)...

Ideally the roof would be better of with exterior plywood (WPB) instead of chipboard for long term. Also I don't see any firrings on the roof joists unless there is a fall for the rain go to the gutter.

Thanks for the replies.

I have gone for 3/4in stirling boards. Underfelt (marley waterproofing torch gum) and a same brand top sheet.

I have done the boarding and the underfelt now. It went on ok, no major probs!

I couldnt finish the job off because of the dam wind! the rain held off but using a gas blow torch in high wind isnt good. So fingers crossed tommorrow wont be blowing a gale.....

Sponsored Links
No too hard to work out, when you torch it (depending on the manufacturer) you need to burn the cling film off and get the bitumen hot enough for it too almost run. After a couple of attempts you'll crack it. I always have a wet towel when i do felt roofs, to put the torch on when I'm not using it and incase anything gets hairy!!

I usually, heat the roll as I lay it, rolling the melted bitumen on as I go. If its short runs you can heat it in strips but it can loose its strength if you do too much and crease up and stick to itself.

Good luck with it.

Kev

Where running into gutter Drip section first......top layer over that. Just use the loaf as to which way water is running ;)

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back