Advice on wall finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Would really appreciate your advice on how best to finish this wall.

Ive just finished the ground works done in preparation for a porcelain patio. As you can see, I’ve chased the electrics (swa). I’ve also taken out an old concrete step which has left an uneven finish. I’ll be putting in a step into the house that will finish about half way up. You’ll also see a lip of concrete at the base of the French door. I called the lad who installed the door a few years ago but he wasn’t much help. Said it was fine.

Would really appreciate people’s views on best way to finish the wall. Thanks all.

Attachments

• 3725BD22-50A4-4649-98AC-F2C26F0B6DCC.jpeg
    3725BD22-50A4-4649-98AC-F2C26F0B6DCC.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 121
  • C4D20906-3428-4CD8-9277-62C062266667.jpeg
    C4D20906-3428-4CD8-9277-62C062266667.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 128
  • AA20D1DD-80FB-4A91-A3F4-60756CE6B6D8.jpeg
    AA20D1DD-80FB-4A91-A3F4-60756CE6B6D8.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 30AFA2DC-CA8A-4FE5-AF58-6B0DFC81D08E.jpeg
    30AFA2DC-CA8A-4FE5-AF58-6B0DFC81D08E.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It just needs rendering.... scratch coat and bury the cables in it, then a finish coat. Job done

It just needs rendering.... scratch coat and bury the cables in it, then a finish coat. Job done

Thanks for that. Sorry - it must seem a silly question for you.

Can I ask about the cill edge under the French door. There was a step which we removed - is there anything I need to do to finish it off properly.

You’ll have to make the ‘cill’ as part of the new step now. Just make sure it’s got a slight slope away from the house.

you could just build up in brickwork then tile the top(s) or have stone etc.

The door was installed wrong - it should have been set back 75mm and the bottom rail set on a extended cill.
Now you can chisel out the lip to undercut the bottom rail and do as suggested above for a new cill/tread sloping away from the door and sealed under the door.
The tread should extend away from the door 500mm to 600mm as a safety measure when you step out of the doorway.
Build the step before laying the porcelin.

The gulley is your FFL benchmark for laying the porcelin.
Knock off render back to clean brick for 150mm above the gulley, including where the old step was.
And install fixed and rendered-in plastic Bellcasts along the bottom edge of the render.
Was there previous a Plinth?
Render cannot be anywhere in ground contact.

The door was installed wrong - it should have been set back 75mm and the bottom rail set on a extended cill.
Now you can chisel out the lip to undercut the bottom rail and do as suggested above for a new cill/tread sloping away from the door and sealed under the door.
The tread should extend away from the door 500mm to 600mm as a safety measure when you step out of the doorway.
Build the step before laying the porcelin.

The gulley is your FFL benchmark for laying the porcelin.
Knock off render back to clean brick for 150mm above the gulley, including where the old step was.
And install fixed and rendered-in plastic Bellcasts along the bottom edge of the render.
Was there previous a Plinth?
Render cannot be anywhere in ground contact.

Thank you both for replies.

Could you kindly talk me through that once more - as if you’re talking to a complete dummy!! Lol.

Pic attached of what used to be there - a big concrete step flush with the door.

The plan is to have a porcelain step 150mm below the threshold of the French door.

If I’m reading your post correctly - are you suggesting that I
- chisel out the concrete lip still in place (yellow in pic)
- install new render onto a bell cast across the width of the French door only so that it doesn’t extend past the step (in blue) and is above the step so that water drips onto the step and away from the house.

Am I on the right track or have I totalled misunderstood you both.

Thanks again for taking time to reply and offer advice.

Attachments

• 13CDE873-9A0C-4605-B777-7184F4080BD2.jpeg
    13CDE873-9A0C-4605-B777-7184F4080BD2.jpeg
    647.9 KB · Views: 63
  • C24012A4-A043-42F0-B146-314EEECBB39F.jpeg
    C24012A4-A043-42F0-B146-314EEECBB39F.jpeg
    195.7 KB · Views: 65
I think what tell80 is saying is to cut a channel (grind/chisel) into the hello old cill.
Once you’ve made your step, slide your tile into this channel (so it’s under the door... just) make sure it slopes away and apply sealant where needed.

Thank you mr chibs for providing the op with a more clear explanantion.

OP now you show a new pic with a gulley to the right side of the pic, and a manhole cover on the left.
That manhole cover presumably controlled the finished height of your old yard surfaceat the back of the house and down the side path until the path finished.

Now you show two gullies - are they level? and a manhole cover thats to low. The manhole cover can be raised which means the side path must also possibly be raised.
The gullies can also be raised or lowered with maybe far more work.
This leveling business is important, youve got to work from a benchmark.

The plan is wrong, please as read what i said above - you dont step out of a door and immediately drop 150mm. You step onto a tread surface like mr chibs described above.

You remove render to 150mm above the porcelin surface - you thenclean, point and then leave alone any exposed brick.
Where the render stops you fix Bellcasts and make good the render over the Bellcast. You dont fix Bellcast immediately above the step - how can you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back