Advice on Window Companies

I

Igorian

I have had quotes for 3 Windows and French Doors (including 2 Lintels)from 5 companies, Cold Seal, NAC, Staybrite, Everest and Anglian, varying between £3700 and £5500.

I've rejected the first 3 due to bad reviews or a basic dislike of the Window. I must admit that I prefer the Anglian product, but you never really know until they are fitted.

Has anyone had experience with Anglian (good or bad)

regards

Ig.

Sponsored Links
I probably shouldn't say this but my nephew works with that latter named outfit and from what he says I wouldn't go near them. His dad is also in the business but with a different company and doesn't have a very high opinion of them either. The problem is with the people they actually get to do the work. You could be lucky. Purely my personal opinion.

IanDB, why would yuo not use them? I worked for Anglian for many years. they have an extremely good and long lasting product. Our neighbour has Anglian products in his house and they are over twenty years old. They are still white, no condensation in the units and the handles and hinges are still in good working order.

They are expensive though, so you will need all of your powers of persuasion to get the salesman to reduct the price. Even when he says its his best price, try for another 10%, he will still be making money on it. Ask the salesman about the fitters, those employed, not contrcated by the company are likely to do a better job. Aplogies in advance to those sub-contracted fitters who do a good installation.

Whichever you choose make sure you see some that have been installed in a similar property and don't be afraid to ask the owners about the company:D

I haven't anything bad about them but then you will always get a small percentage who are not happy. Workman having a off day maybe ?

Sponsored Links
We are currently having double glazing done by a small company on a house that already had a window and outside door from Anglian. Got quotes from Anglian, Staybrite & the people we went with. The Anglian salesman covering Newport Gwent gave us the full hard sell, using all the BBC Watchdog and Rogue Traders classics at his disposal. It was amazing how brazen he was, with a £24k quote eventually ending up at £9k after doing the whole "got to phone the head office" bit. I think he gave up when we were not biting on the 29% APR finance deal.
The Anglian window on the house seals badly though a fitting fault, is draughty and you can see sky through the edge when it is closed and the Anglian door constantly leaks, which is a design failure on the seals. I must warn that their 'unique' 15 year guarentee is not worth anything and contrary to what they say, cant be transferred to a new house owner.
Dont touch these people with a bargepole.

:evil: i had anglian and had 43 faults!! after 8 re visits by different fitters to try and rectify the problems, i settled for a £3000 discount and left the windows as they are, wouldnt let anglian near my house again!

God, the hard sell, I just can't understand the fact that they all do it means it must work - the "I must phone head office" routine, and the stomping out the house all unhappy when you don't agree to buy there and then. And these are the "reputable" companies - Bowater Zenith are exactly the same.

I bought some windows to fit myself, much cheaper, the quality seems fine to me - I chose the shop because it was in my local area (support local businesses), it is owned by the guy who fits many of their windows (has an interest in doing the work properly), the person who works in the office is his daughter (more incentive for honesty and pride in work), they've been in that shop for 17 years or something (must be doing something right).... it just seems to me that many of the big companies are outrageously expensive and get away with prices 2 or 3 times other companies by playing on your fears. Go for someone who has a reputation of their own to build and maintain.

Hi Igorian

Window companies are a nightmare. I remember when I had quotes a couple of years ago and one salesman really put the pressure on for me to sign that night, he stayed til about 10pm. I suppose he thought he could pressure me into it because i was living on my own at the time. Other companies rang me every few weeks to ask if I'd decided. i hate that 'this offer is only available on the night' scam. Or those buy one get one free type schemes. I had lots of scare stories from the salesmen about other companies windows and security risks. And lots of hard sell with their finance. All these companies were the big, well known ones.

I decided that I wouldn't do business with any company that needed to use any of the above tactics. In the end I avoided all the big companies that advertise nationally as I found the ones I spoke to as bad as each other.

Like Thing says I found one company that is a family business and has been around, with the same name, for 20 years. The salesman put on no pressure, the quoted price was the final price and was valid for 6 months, he didn't use any scare tactics or bad mouthing tactics or any of the above. And I was pleased with the result.

So now my rant is over, my advice would be to look at a window sample, check the type of locks- mushroom head bolts are better than straight ones, and check the hinge side to make sure it has something to protect the hinges from being forced from the outside. Theres a difference of opinion about internal or external glazing, some say internal is better, but is more expensive and rarer, others say enternal is just as safe. The other thing to look for is the ability to have the window open a small amount and still lock, (I think most do this), and metal reinforcement where the bolts secure into the frame. Some reinforce all round the frame, some just around the bolts.

Other than that, I'd say don't believe any of the offers they come out with, especailly those where you have to sign on the night. If they can offer it that night they can offer it in 2 weeks.

I've since found that lots of builders and carpenters will fit and supply windows, I even found a carpenter who'd fit a window I bought.
Its also worth pricing up from B&Q, you can input the window sizes into their website to get a quote. Though this is for DIY fitting it gives you a comparison.

Amanda

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back