Advice on wiring when replacing old Central Heating Controll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have a very old "Landis & Gyr" mechanical Central Heating / Hot Water controller in the airing cupboard, which controls the central heating and hot water, in terms of when they come on, and turn off.

It's become tempremental #(and getting worse), so I think it's high time I replaced it with one of the new digital ones (possibly with wireless thermostat).

I would have attached a photo , but the camera is bust, so bear with me.

My question is >> Where do I learn about the wiring / connections of this device , so I can successfully "swap" it out and replace it for a new device. (Also - is there any other knowledge I need?)

(I'm ok with wiring, having re-wired part of the house etc, but would just appreciate some initial advice).

Anyone able to point me somewhere ?

Many Thanks in anticipation

Mark

Sponsored Links
Visit the Honeywell UK site. You will find all the wiring diagrams for ch systems on there.

The old landis and gear have industry standard back plate .
Look at seimens range of programmers for straight swap with no wiring alterations

Sponsored Links
the siemes RWB29 fits directly onto the landis and gyr backplate.

i have a list of programmers that the rwb29 replaces like for like, if you tell me the model of yours i can tell you if the rwb29 fits without mod

Hi bhm1712

Had a look on the front - no model number at all.

Will it be safe for me to undo the "front" and have a look ? (I guess the model number MUSt be under the face plate of something ?)

Thanks v m

Mark

Hi ,

Came across the following image of a "Potterton Miniminder" and visually it's exactly the same as mine (apart from mine says "Landis and Gyr" on the bottom left, and has a dark brown fascia plate, however - the actual time clock "wheel" and two stwitches are identical:

(Hope you guys can see this image: )

I google "potterton miniminder" and it seems like its an equiv of Landis and Gyr "RWB2"

Also (for what it's worth) , the actual backplate only occupies the left hand "half" of the unit (i.e. there is nothing behind the right hand half if that makes sense).

Cheers again

Thanks - Mark

right thats identical to my old landis and gyr controller, mine was an rwb2 with the glow worm mastermind name on it. im 100% sure the RWB29 will be a direct replacement for yours. it will do no harm to take it off and there will be a sticker on the back with the model number just to make sure!

just undo the 2 screws at the top and lift upwards and outwards from the bottom of the controller and it should come right off, your right about the back plate, its just a single DIN so only takes up half

Awesome - it worked, thanks for the help.

One point (not sure if I should try and post this in an "Advice" section) but the RWB29 requires you to set dip switches for Daily, 5-2, or 7 day programming. No problem thre, HOWEVER the unit only recognised the current dip settings AFTER you press the small recessed "reset" switch on the front.

Thanks again - Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back