Advice / Opinion on a newly rendered external wall (k-rend)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had a builder do some work in my patio area.He has fitted a new fence above an existing wall and then built a block wall for raised beds. Finally it was rendered with white k-rend about 6 days ago.

I was expecting a smooth finish, but the texture is really sharp. The edges are a mess and he has not rendered the inside of the wall at the top, so if you peer over you would be able to see the blockwork above the soil.

there's several places where the beading can be seen along the edges. and it seems to have come away in a few small spots. the render looks really patchy and I can see circular marks on the wall. There are also bumps in some places.

I asked for white but the whole thing looks creamy and the colour is not consistent. He has told me it can take up to 28 days for a full even colour. It also flakes a huge amount if i rub it or brush it. Ive been told this is normal but seems very wrong. i think if i rub it enough, the whole thing will disintegrate.

Overall the wall looks like its been there for years. I have asked him to come back and address the issues and he said he should be able to patch it up and fix the bad edges but i have heard that you cannot patch k-rend.

Should i bother getting him to fix it or is it a write off? can i get rid of the patchy effect and should it be flaking so much?

is this just what k-rend is - can i get someone else to concrete render over the top or would i need to strip it all back?

pic :

http://imgur.com/naJSh97

close ups

http://imgur.com/a/UwXhF

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In brief, the job is rough. The K-rend should have been done by a plasterer/render guy.

At a glance two things (there are others) stand out:

1. the lack of coping stones or at least sloping the top edge to shed water.

2. the builder used galvanised angle and stop bead. Plastic or SS should have been used. When the galv rusts it will expand and blow the cover.

What you have will give difficulties in the short and the long term.

Thanks for the reply.

I do think I need to get it re-done and will have to negotiate what I end up paying this guy.

Are you able to answer these questions for me?

1) It doesn't look at all white. Is this really white k-rend? and is it true that i should wait 28 days?

2) Is it normal to flake to the touch - a huge amount of dust falls off. My assumption is that it hasn't been mixed properly.

3) Could a plasterer recover this by adding another coat on top, or should it rip it all off and get a cement render instead?

Thanks for your help. much appreciated

Dont fuss with it - as above, a plasterer who's a renderer is needed. Let a professional on site make any further decisions for you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back