Advice or recommendation to produce little smoke from a fire pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a fire pit and some kiln dried wood that says 80% smoke.

Well, if it did produce 80% less smoke then God knows what normal smoke would be like because it wasn't good!

Maybe when it came out of the manufacturers it would have produced 80% less smoke but after sitting outside in B&M's garden centre I'm wondering if it sucked in moisture, therefore, defeats the purpose. I don't have a humidity reader so can't test.

Does anyone know of a good product or method they can recommend to minimise smoke? I also saw some coals that stated 80% less too, would they be okay to give off a decent flame to roast marshmallows? What's the best substance to use?

I know there are fire pits that produce less smoke because of a double wall but they're too expensive.

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
If possible use softwoods only as starters and then burn hardwoods as the main fuel.

But the least amount of smoke I've probably had from a 'firepit' is actually an old washing machine drum.

And it also burns hotter than many designer retail ones imo or an actual brick lined one I built some time ago.

Thanks for your help guys.
I'll have another look at those logs.
From what I understand, it's the moisture content that determines how smokey it will be so as long as they're super dry it should be okay.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
You might find a moisture meter useful.
To avoid smoke, use wood that is as dry as possible, and avoid treated timber, painted timber etc
As ellal says - start with softwood, then once it's gong well add some hardwood
If you split the wood down, it'll dry quicker and burn quicker
You don't really want flames for marshmallows - you're better off with red glowing wood once the fire had died down slightly

I've never come across this '80% smoke' - intrigued to know what that's all about!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back