Advice Please - fixing dripping mixer tap ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have had a dripping tap for about 6 months now, there are NO isolation valves below the sink unit, so i can not determine if its the hot or cold side (the water is cold though)...The only isolation is in the street.

How do i fix this ? Would it just be an 'O' ring ? I have a BIG set with virtually every size but do not know where to start !!!

Anyone help ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the hot water is coming from a cylinder in the airing cupboard there should be an isolating valve on the cold feed which enters the bottom of the cylinder. Turn valve off and open hot tap, water should stop. If the tap still drips it will be the cold tap. Close the main stop cock in the road and repair.
If you have a combi boiler both the hot and cold taps are mains fed. Close main stop cock and change both washers as it will save you having to change the other one later.

It's a Combi and ONLY isolation is in the lane !!!

How do i access the 'washers', how will i know what size ?? Or where they are ??...Would any DIY/Builders merchants stock then ??

Thanks

Is this the procedure ?

Yes if it's a washer type tap.
Some taps have cartridges, if this is the case you will need to remove the inside bit as shown in vidio and take it to a plumbers merchant. A local plumber should only charge about £40 to repair it.
As it's a combi you will need to replace both washers to be sure.

Sponsored Links
Where on earth do you get £40 from ? these taps are quarter turn taps so need a cartridge, so get to job, turn off in street , drain down and fit ballofixes so water can be turned back on, dismantle tap ,hope you have suitable cartridges in van if not either go to merchants and see if they stock them or measure and take a pic for a search on the internet, then go back and reassemble.

£40 !!!!! I have hoping less than £2 for a rubber washer from Screwfix !!!, i could replace the whole tap myself for £30....

So just follow Picasso's advice, except substitute change tap for change cartridges.

At least you will then get rid of that awful chocolate coloured tap.

Have to disagree ... they're screw down taps, not 1/4 turn - isolate the cold mains, undo the valves out of the tap body and replace the 1/2" tap washers that you'll find on the bottom of the valve. If the seats are worn then you may need a tap seat cutter. The video shows what you need to do.

Good idea, as suggested, would be to cut in a couple of isolation valves or find the internal mains pipe and cut a stop tap into that for future servicing whilst the mains is off.

I'm a bit confused !!
First you say you can't change a tap washer, about the most simple of jobs then you say you can change the whole tap for £30.
Change the tap then. If you can find a proper kitchen tap for £30 that is not imported from god knows where, that will leak again in no time good luck

There are a lot of cartridge kitchen taps for £30 or less nowadays, and some I've fitted are still fine 12 years later - but that's not to say that the qualities getting worse.

Even though it's a combi, there should be an isolation point under the combi on the hot output that will turn a quarter turn to switch off the hot water. But it's a little immaterial whether it's the hot or the cold that's leaking; do them both whilst the waters turned off. Follow the video, take the washer down to Wilkinsons, and then get a match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back