ADVICE PLEASE - flooring guy disappeared with £1500

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently hired someone to redo our floors in solid oak and ordered the materials through him as he said he could get us a good price. In person he seemed knowledgeable, polite and professional. That was 3 weeks ago.

He's been giving us the run-around ever since making excuses about having another urgent job, saying he's very ill, saying he'll come the following day and not showing up etc... He says he's had our materials for a week and a half but he's fodding us off about delivering it to us. I've been saying for 3-4 days I'll pick them up myself from his house but he's since stopped answering his phone and stopped responding to my texts.

I'm now starting to think he never acutally bought the stuff for us and just kept the money.

We found this guy through ratedpeople. He had no feedback, but kept leaving messages on my voice mail.

Today was the last day I've given him to deliver the materials to me and he of course hasn't showed up.

My question is this: What do I do next? What is the best way to go about getting my money back?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy. Thankfully no, we didn't pay cash. It was a BACS transfer. I don't have his address as he's given one of those 'rent a temp business premise' address. I'm sure I can find out though... ;)

Right, now you need to start digging. Any info that you have eg a business/paper work with his name on, Google it and see what comes up, contact rated people and tell them, contact your bank and ask about having the money returned due to a fraud.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Bank should be able to do a 'chargeback' if you tell them a) you have not recieved the goods and b) you have been unable to contact the vendor.

Failing that, put up a fake job for him to quote at your mate's house and have words when he turns up.

I suppose ratedpeople may be able to help. It is possible that he has a family crisis to contend with, but you need to establish contact with him asap. Good luck!

I suppose ratedpeople may be able to help. It is possible that he has a family crisis to contend with, but you need to establish contact with him asap. Good luck!

Indeed, a family crisis - and worse luck - an urgent job, ill health and being abducted by aliens, all in the same week, and all after he's taken the £1.5k

Yet if you read the thread the op says the guy has stopped taking his calls etc, but I'm sure your advice that he should get in contact with him was helpful!

If you want to place an allegation of fraud surely the police have to get involved?

We found this guy through ratedpeople. He had no feedback, but kept leaving messages on my voice mail.

So he hassled you for the work?

I'm sorry but giving him money was dumb.

Hmmm Well I've just taken a cheque for a grand for a new boiler install.... I wouldn't even book them in without a deposit.... If the customer decides not to pay at least the materials are paid for...

Sponsored Links
Back