Advice please for a rejected Prior Notification of Householder Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I applied to the council but for some strange reason the application was rejected.

This is the first application i made:
https://publicaccess.barnet.gov.uk/...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ORFUDEJI0CJ00

was Rejected

https://publicaccess.barnet.gov.uk/...ils.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=ORYBKJJI09W00

than i made another application but the council made a mistake with the house number but still was Rejected

Please can someone help me what i need to do so the application is approved.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Assume first of all that no neighbours have objected?

If the garage at the side was built since the house, your proposed rear extension should not join up to it, otherwise it becomes a wrap-round,
to which the prior notification scheme does not apply.
If you separated them by a few inches, that would solve the problem.
But have you actually asked the council WHY they rejected it? That might be a better course than to keep submitting these things and getting them rejected.

It was rejected because you did not send the required information, and they seem to think that it extends beyond a side wall, but I can't see that at all.

You need to enclose the required information, and either give more details to show exactly why it does not extend past the side wall.

Also get a refund from who ever drew those plans and failed to do such a simple application correctly.

Sponsored Links
Seems obvious to me, it attaches to the garage, which makes it a side extension, excluding it from being eligible for Prior Notification. And there is no singular plan showing the existing house, its extension and how it relates to the neighbouring properties.

I will demolish the side garage anyway and will make double size side extension application once the back extension is approved.

As the plan is :
1) Loft - Approved
2) Back Extension - Currently trying under permitted development with prior notification application.
3) Side double extension - Plans are ready just waiting for the back extension to be approved
4) Outhouse application

That's what happens when you get a structural engineer playing at being an architect.

Get a proper architectural designer who understands planning. (That counts me out)

Seems obvious to me, it attaches to the garage, which makes it a side extension, excluding it from being eligible for Prior Notification.

Since when has a garage been a "dwelling house" - as defined in the planning document?

That garage wall does not form part of the side elevation of the "dwelling house", therefore iit is not a side extension and is PD.

Thanks for the reply just had a reply from the council they me to do the following:

At present, the side wall of the extension will project from and adjoin to the existing garage which is deemed to be a side elevation. Moving forward, the side wall of the extension will have to be set away from the side wall of the garage by 0.5 metres. If at any point the two reach, the extension will become a side and rear extension with a width greater than half of the width of the dwellinghouse which will continuously fail under the prior notification scheme.

Similarly to the above, the height of the extension would need to be reduced to allow a 0.5 metre separation between the roof of the extension and the bay window that serves the first floor rear elevation of the property. This is because bay windows are deemed to contain side walls so if the extension projects off the bay window (i.e. the extension crashes into the bay window) we will be left with the same situation as above.

Since when has a garage been a "dwelling house" - as defined in the planning document?

That garage wall does not form part of the side elevation of the "dwelling house", therefore iit is not a side extension and is PD.
Have the planning rules changed then? Since when was an adjoining garage not part of a house?

The document with all the rules in about what is and is not PD. You must know of it, surely?

Come on woody show some bloody backbone for once and just link to the part of the document you're going on about, I guess I have better things to do than read the entire legislation on planning law.

:rolleyes: SMH

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...der_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

General issues p6

"Dwellinghouse" definition, and in context of other terms throughout the document.

ie there is no reference to garages being part of a dwelling house, but there are references to garages in other contexts. Which means that if garages were meant to be regarded as part of a dweilling house, then they would have been defined as such.

Unless there are appeal precedents to the contrary, then a garage is not part of the dwelling house, but is a distinct building within the curtilage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back