advice please on building a porch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Could i please ask for some advice.

I would like to erect a roof over my existing porch as it is a felted flat roof than has begun leaking. Its not only for this reason but I personally feel it will look better. I wish to extend this roof the full width of my house. Problem is I would like some ideas on how best to do this, i have my own ideas but Ive never undertaken something like this before, mainly fitting kitchen and bathroom with other DIY which I find I do to a high standard. I just wanted some advice from the experts.

I have tried to draw a simple image using paint. The point on the triangle above the porch slope back toward the house (cant think how to explain it).

the total length of the roof is 7.1m, final hieght of the roof on the actual porch will be 1m from the base which will leave a gap of 2 brick courses from the top of the roof to the bottom of the window cill. The roof either side of the porch roof (if you understand what i mean) will be approx 1 tile lower.

I was going to use 5x2 as the wall plates and 4x2 for the trusses at 450mm centres. Im unsure how to calculate the total amount of materials need. can anyone please offer some advise[/img]

Sponsored Links
Use 4"x 2" for the rafters, joists, pole (rafter pitching) plate and joist plate.

Use an 8"x 3" runner for a rafter purlin wich will need to be supported by the porch wall at one end and a gallows at each of the far ends. The rafters can be b/m'd onto this.

You may want to consider hip ends to avoid gables.

Don't forget the rainwater. You will require two drops.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget the rainwater. You will require two drops.

One ... the bit above the door is hipped

Keep the eaves fascia level, and so where the top of two side roofs meet the central one will be at a lower level

Hi guys,

Im re-instating this thread as I have a couple of weeks off from work and want to get this project started.

can you please offer advice on how I need to go about doing this. Im very handy so with your help, I will be able to do this but your advice would be really appreciated

LOL ... he's mulled over them for a year, and now its a mad rush to start the job.

Hang on, that sounds all too familiar

lol - sorry guys but this is one of those jobs that you have every intention of doing but never get around to it. Now if someone wanted me to do it for them as a paid job, that would be different, I would be there like a shot. My house is the last place i want to work on lol

anyway, as i said, I dont think i will have any problems doing this but I dont really know what the technically name for things are ie purlins so have to costantly look them up on google

would it be possible someone could draw me a basic diagram of how they would contruct this and name the different parts. I would really appreciate it and it will give me a much better idea of what is need

i hope some kind soul is willing to help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back