Advice please - RE: Bathroom Switch for Lights and Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: Hi

Can I do away with the traditional 'pull cord' for the lighting and inline fan with timer?

But instead put the switches outside of the bathroom (next to the bathroom door).

What I want to do is put a leading edge dimmer AND a switch that has the 'fan' symbol
stamped on it outside next to the bathroom door.

If so, is the following possible;

On the TLC website a diagram for MK "Three Pole Fan Isolator Switch"
shows the Three Pole Fan Isolator Switch AFTER the pull cord.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/MK/3_Pole_Fan_Isolator.pdf

I realise that this Three Pole Fan Isolator Switch is for 'isolating' the fan in case a
repair is needed without turning the lighting off - but could/would I be allowed to swap an
ordinary flat plate switch for Three Pole Fan Isolator Switch?

If not do you know of a switch with a fan symbol?

What I was thinking was;

Supply to >>> Three Pole Fan Isolator Switch >>> TO >>> Lights and fan

I haven't ordered the fan yet - so I am in the dark re the manufactures fitting instructions.

I am just trying to see if my idea is feasible.

A soft landing would be appreciated, regarding any help you may offer. ;)

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Most manufacturers will insist on an 3/5Amp FCU for their fans as well as a three pole isolator for timed extractor fans.
Look on Wiki there are several ways of wiring them.

Not sure why you want to include a dimmer on the fan circuit or have I read that wrong? Do you want to control the speed of the fan as well as the brightness of the lights?

You can place the three pole isolator next to the fan so long as it is outside the bathroom zones and the isolator instructions do not preclude this action.

Your circuit will probably have to be protected by an RCD as well.

MKK4896FN.JPG

Look at the TLC site - MK Grid switches

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...nu_Index/Grid_System/Grid_System_3/index.html

You could have 2 grids (Light and fan) switches and they take the same foot print as a standard light switch.

The fused spur could be up beside the fan unit.

So light switch does light, and fan switch interupts the live to the fused spur. Most MI's want a 3 pole locking for service of the fan.

Sponsored Links
Do you actually want to retain the timer feature of the fan so that it continues running for a set time after turning off the switch? Or do you just want to switch it on and off entirely manually? The latter makes it simpler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back