Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was asked to do an estimate for some broken luminares. When I turned up I found a newly refurbished large house with full rewire and all new downlights (many) etc. The client then told me the full story. The lighting circuit MCB keeps tripping, half the many downlighters have blown and much more importantly the electrician that did the job disappeared without certifying the work and therefore he cannot get the house signed off by building control. As far as the lighting circuit is concerned I will be able to sort it out but he has asked me to test the whole installation and certify it. As a full scope Napit member I am able to certify others work but I am concerned about not having been involved sooner on this one, when I could have checked cable routes etc. Should I walk away from this?

Sponsored Links
You could do a PIR on the installation BUT I would not want to certify it as MY installation if I could not see the cabling etc especially as there are problems so early on.

Then walk away - if you have not carried out the install or cannot see every cable run, cable, joint box, termination etc etc then you cannot certify it.

Sponsored Links
Then walk away - if you have not carried out the install or cannot see every cable run, cable, joint box, termination etc etc then you cannot certify it.

So he has nowhere to go. In theory he will not be able to get the house signed off and therefore will never be able to sell.

If he is honest and actually explains what has happened to the BCO man, they will be more inclined to help him out, and may accept a PIR is a one off.

Speak to them and see what they say.

shouldnt bco get some one into test it , isnt part p part of building controls responsibility if he has paid fees to bco

BCO was not involved in the rewire element of the refurb as I believe he thought it was part of the electricians remit.

surely he knows the electrician or where he lives approximately, at least surely he has a mobile no. for him? i`m sure he could contact him some how or pass his details onto building control. bet there are two sides to this story i.e. customer wouldnt pay for extra work at the end, so he says no payment no finishing off or cert. seen it before. or there was no electrician only householder and his mate who is a part time sparky or retired etc etc etc

at the end of the day he even got you to go there on a pretence, broken luminaires. You might find yourself featuring on one of those tv programmes "electricains who do bad"

surely he knows the electrician or where he lives approximately, at least surely he has a mobile no. for him?....

Says he went to Australia. You know it sounds more suspicious the more I think about it. I may walk from this one.

Walk away from this one and don't look back :eek:

I wouldn't certify someone elses work unless I was present during first fix

Theres loads more work out there and it seems you might get a load of grief from this one. As you pointed out it all looks and sounds a bit suspicious. Ill put money on it the spark wasn't paid :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back